Epilogue

Epilogue

Lauren

This is the beginning of a new story.

A new life.

A new hope.

A new love.

A lot has happened since I broke out from the lab, since the simulation, but Daniel and I are building our lives now. We're building it like building a house of brick or stone, careful to lay each piece on the proper place, careful to put everything where it belongs.

There is no more Fiouris. No more army. No more weeding of the brave, the mighty and the strong. But danger always lurks ahead. It always has its own ways of finding me. But when it comes for me, I know I'll be ready. I know I will, and this time, I'll be prepared than ever before.

Everything is right where it belongs. I'm back at the wasteland I called home, the division I grew up in. I'm back to the cozy, peaceful life that I've only seen in my dreams. I'm back in the arms of the man I truly love.

Sometimes I dream of them. I dream of Dr. Carter with his broken spectacles and see him beaming with pride at me. I dream of Lia and recall all our wonderful memories together–the long conversations, the silent walks and how it feels to have a sister. I dream of Jonathan, and I think there are some things that are destined for each other but are never meant to be together. I think of his golden curls, his boyish smile, his beautiful eyes and how I can't find the same pair anywhere in the world, and I thank him. I thank him for being real. I thank him for loving me.

Maybe in another life, we'll all see each other again. Maybe in that life, I won't be an experiment. I'd call Dr. Carter 'Dad' and have more long walks with Lia. Maybe I'd have Jonathan by my side. Maybe I'll have him as a friend, and he won't need to remember. There would be no memory of the simulation, no mark on my arm. We could all start all over again. But for now, I couldn't ask for anything more.

Everything is perfect. Everything is right just where it is.