Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Lauren

He's my enemy. And now he's the ruler of the landmass I'm supposed to destroy and ruling the landmass makes him my next target. 

But I'm not so sure if I could kill him anymore. 

I'd killed him once in my simulation. President Knoxx shoved the gun in my hand and I stood there trembling before his grief-stricken eyes. The corpses of my simulation mother and father lay on the ground, blood pooling from the bullet hole on their heads. I shut my eyes and pulled the trigger, shooting him right at his heart, killing him for good, waking up from a terrible 17-year long nightmare. 

But could I do it again? Could I put the same bullet at his very heart and suffer the same pain all over again? I have to. I was created to kill and not to feel. It was what I was made to do. Too bad I have to do it to him. 

I wanted to see him tonight. See if I could kill him in his sleep. I had a plan already. It was perfect. But I don't know if it'll work. I don't know if it'll work because I'm the problem in this set-up. Nevertheless, I have to go. My time here in Aurum is numbered down and my cover is blown. I have to do things quick, fast and easy. 

I will go to him tonight and negotiate with him. I want to know his reasons. I want to know what his plans are for Aurum and Argentum. I want to know if I should kill him or not. I'll see if he is worth saving. I won't bring any weapons with me. I'll go to his chambers unarmed. I'll go to him and see if he remembers. I'll see if he remembers me. I'll see if he still knows me as somebody more than Grace Cooper. I'll see if he still loves me. I'll just see and then, I'll leave him dead and gone. 

--------------------------------

I open the doors to his chambers using one hand. Two guards were stationed on the right and left of his room, carefully monitoring me and my actions. I held a silver tray up with one hand, kept my head low but kept my chest out so that they would see my identification card. They inspected the tea I was bringing and allowed me to enter inside. I kept my head down until I heard the doors shut. 

I was expecting him to be asleep, his eyes shut and golden lashes curled, his chest rising and falling together with his steady heartbeat, but he wasn't. He was awake. His profile shone amidst his night light and he was bent over a screen showing the map of Aurum and showing photos of me and the crest of Argentum. I glanced at the clock. It was almost 2 am yet he was still awake. I felt an unnecessary worry erupt from my stomach and I swallowed it down, pushing it away. 

"You can put the tea down by the table. Afterwards, you may leave." He ordered. There was a different tone in his voice. It was commanding and alluring at the same time. I scooted towards the table and dropped the tray gently, but instead of leaving, I stayed. 

He seemed to notice my presence even though I was completely silent. "You may leave now." He said. 

I swallowed and took a deep breath. "No." I firmly said. "I'm not leaving until we talk." 

He spun around, eyes wide and lips parted. I fought the urge to wrap his arms around him. "Guar-" He began to shout but I cut him. "I have no weapons." I raised my hands up in the air and allowed his eyes to assess me. I pursed my lips into a thin and tired smile. 

"What do you want?" He scowled. 

"Do you remember me?" I blurted out unexpectedly. I've forgotten that I was here for the benefit of Argentum, to see if Jonathan can still be spared from this war, to see if he would side with us to end this all. 

"Of course I do." He replied and hope lit up inside me. Its glow magnified and consumed everything I had. I couldn't help but smile at him. I can still save him.