Chapter 3: Test Drive

I woke up and headed into the main room, where I found Zero crashed on the couch. He must have gotten here pretty late. I kneeled next to the couch and nudged him lightly on the shoulder.

"Nngh..." He groaned quietly.

"How does a bed sound?" I asked softly.

"Glorious..." He replied droopily.

I chuckled quietly and helped him sit up. I heaved him onto his feet with some difficulty, and managed to lead him to him room, where he crashed onto his mattress.

"Need anything?" I called out before walking out the door.

"No, just sleep." He yawned back.

I closed the door and peered into Ivory's room before realizing she wasn't there. Great, now I had to go to the pub and drag her, and possibly Li Ling, back home. I slipped on a coat and opened the door to find Jaeger, already carrying a semiconscious Ivory.

"I believe this is yours." He huffed before dropping her to my feet, emitting a loud groan from her.

"Well, thanks for not leaving her at the pub." I sighed, bending down to help her up.

"Hm." He shrugged and turned to leave.

"He just made my life a whole lot easier." I remarked to myself as I dragged Ivory back inside.

"Not mine..." She whined, trying to cling to my hair.

"Hey, stop! That hurts, dammit!" I scolded, prying her fingers away. "And where's my vodka?"

Robo appeared before me as a bottle materialized onto the counter before he disappeared again. I stared at it blankly for a moment before turning back to Ivory.

"C'mon, let's just get you into your room..." I sighed, guiding her onto her own mattress.

She immediately curled up and gave me a tired smile. "Thanks..."

"And I thought you were the responsible one here." I chuckled, nudging her arm playfully before turning to leave.

I eagerly ran up to the bottle of vodka that awaited me on the counter. But as soon as I had grabbed onto it, it dissolved into thin air. I turned angrily to find my Ghost hovering above me.

"Hey!"

"You must be out of your mind if you think I'm going to let you drink this." He exclaimed.

"Just one glass..." I pleaded.

"You're on medication. This can cause severe flares that you will definitely suffer from!" He scolded before disappearing again.

"Screw you!" I shouted angrily.

He didn't come back, so I just started looking around for something else to eat.

After breakfast, I went back into my room, swallowed four more pills, and dressed into my armor. I looked around the quarters for a minute before finding the scorch cannon laying in a corner of the main room. Knowing my brother, he just carelessly tossed the thing aside before crashing on the couch.

As much as he denied it, Zero could be such a mindless idiot sometimes.

I picked up the weapon and headed out. I entered the elevator and pressed the button that'd take me to the top floor, where the facilities were located. I found the Future War Cult's headquarters and made my way in, where Lakshmi-2 was looking over the equipment she was in charge of selling to other members.

I casually made my way over and gently dropped the scorch cannon onto the desk, getting her attention.

"Impressive weaponry." She remarked without looking away from her merchandise. "Where did you get this?"

"A Fallen Captain dropped it yesterday."

"From the House of Wolves?"

"Yep."

She finally turned her attention to me and picked up the weapon. I waited for her to finish examining it before she suddenly aimed it at me.

"What the hell are you doing?!" I exclaimed.

"It's quite light, for such a big weapon," She nodded approvingly before putting it back down. "I'd like to test it out, get to know its power."

"It only has ten rounds." I warned her. "Don't get carried away."

"Have you succeeded in capturing Skolas yet?" She asked suddenly.

I frowned at her. "Not yet..."

She flashed a reassuring smile. "I can assure you, this won't be the last one we find."

I couldn't help but laugh as we put on our helmets and made our way above ground. We both summoned our sparrows and rode about mile into the jungle before coming across a small band of Fallen. I readied my fusion rifle in case anything were to go wrong and waited for Lakshmi to make a move.

She took aim and pulled the trigger quickly, sending an enormous force of heat to the unsuspecting Vandal. It howled in pain before suddenly exploding, causing damage to some of it's allies.

"That's awesome." I laughed.

"I wonder if I could charge it..." Lakshmi muttered as she took aim once again, this time holding the trigger for a few more seconds before releasing an even bigger wave of energy, decimating the remaining Dregs and Vandals. "Very impressive indeed." She nodded in approval before turning back to me. "Next time you encounter any enemies with one of these, be sure to bring it to me. They could be of good use one way or another."

"Count on it."

~~~

I returned to our quarters a little past noon, to find Ivory cuddling with my brother on the couch.

"Get a room." I groaned loudly, earning their attention. "If dating means you have to act ridiculous every second you're together, then I don't want it." 

"Don't blame us for your pathetic love life." Zero taunted playfully.

I stuck my finger out at him as I went back to the food cabinet to find a snack. "So how was that meeting?"

"Well, the Wolves are spreading into the Cosmodrome, where we can't reach them." Zero ran a frustrated hand through his hair. "Assassins, mostly. We don't know how we're going to deal with them without also being found by the Speaker."

"Well that sucks." I mumbled distractedly, settling for a potato and putting it in the microwave. "Do you know if Petra's going to send us on another mission any time soon?" I garbled with a mouth full of food.

"Not for now. Why?"

"FWC wants more scorch cannons."

"You gave it to them already?" Ivory chimed in.

"Of course I did. It's not like I need to wait for you guys or anything." I stuck my tongue at them.

"Well, we'll just have to wait for her to call us." Zero sighed. "Remember that she's working with two other teams on this, so it might take awhile."

"Yeah, yeah." I yawned, grabbing my food from the microwave. "I'm going to eat and take a nap. I trust you two will behave yourselves?"

"Sleep well!" Ivory called, waving me away with her hand.

"Didn't think so." I snorted, making my way into my room and shutting the door behind me.