Chapter 4 - In The Absence of Light

Chapter 4 - In the Absence of Light

                “Where am I?” Emery said.

                He had fainted after fighting with Darrius. All Emery could see was blackness. He had heard himself talking within that blackness and had confirmed that it was really his own voice. He was trying to figure out where he was within the darkness.

                “Hello there," A voice said.

                The voice was familiar to Emery. It was the same voice that pushed him to accept and use the power within him. It was also the voice of the entity that he used to fight in his dreams. The voice was known as Malice.

                “Reveal yourself to me," Emery said.

                “Don’t you want to know why you’re here," Malice said.

                “Where?” Emery asked.

                “Hold on I’ll turn on the lights," Malice said quickly.

                Light filled the area and they were both on the same town that had served as their battleground in Emery’s earlier dreams. However, the town was different this time. All of the people were lying on the ground unconscious. That boy that put his hope in Emery and the girl that had cheered him on in his dreams were both among the bodies splayed before them.

                “Why are these people here?” Emery asked.

                “You mean the people that I broke in your absence?” Malice said.

                “Those people put their hope in me," Emery said solemnly.

                “And?” Malice said.

                “Why wasn’t I able to protect them…?” Emery said to himself.

                “They were just thoughts Emery, they weren’t that strong anyway," Malice said.

                “I still want to be a hero!” Emery shouted.

                “Whatever you do, you won’t be able to protect anyone. You couldn’t even defeat me," Malice said.

                “I will defeat you," Emery said.

                “I’m not some run of the mill entity, or a tool to derive your power from. I am a force that cannot be controlled," Malice said.

                “I have been fighting you since I was a kid. Now I'm stronger and..." Emery said.

                “You’ll never defeat me now; now that you’ve accepted power. There’s no way you can even hope to erase my existence. Absolute power brings with it absolute evil and you’ll never escape that kind of evil, Emery Acer," Malice said as he pointed at Emery.

                “I will be a hero," Emery said, his hands were balled into fists and at his sides.

                “Will you say those words if everyone around you were to lay lifeless, even your ‘friends’. Even if they abandoned you?” Malice said with a twisted smile. Malice then waved in the direction of a lifeless body that looked like it belonged to Jan.

                Emery was furious, he ran toward Malice with his fist raised. He forgot about the darkness that was around him, the bodies of the people, Darrius’ bloody broken face and all he could think about was defeating Malice who threatened his friends.