Chapter 20: End Of Me

Start from the beginning

And I do now. More than ever.

* * *

I don't remember falling asleep.

James's fingers where in my hair as he brushed them through sleep infested strands. His touch was light and delicate, it almost put me right back to sleep. His lips pressed against the bare skin of my neck and I sighed in contentment. He swept my hair further to the side and trailed smooth kisses over the top of my shoulder and up the back of my neck. "How are you?" He asked, his breath chilling my skin.

"I've been better." I croaked, but didn't move just yet.

"I'm sorry." He kissed my neck again and tightened his arm around my waist, "I'm so sorry, Violet."

I placed a hand over his wrist and melted further against him. "It's okay." Truth. "Thank you for being there after the way I acted."

"Thank you for letting me be there." He slipped his fingers through my hair again, "I was so worried."

Finally, I opened my eyes and stared straight ahead. "I didn't mean to worry you, James." My voice wouldn't go higher than a whisper.

His breath caressed my neck again. "I care about you so much and when Gray told me that you weren't there...my heart fell. You scared the shit out of me."

I flipped onto my back so I could stare into his eyes. The blue seemed more of a dull gray today. Even if he didn't talk to me, his eyes could tell me everything he was thinking. "I didn't mean to." I lightly touched his jaw.

"I know." He grabbed my hand and pressed his lips to my knuckles, "Just the thought of something happening to you—"

"Nothing's going to happen to me. I was just childish. The way I acted yesterday towards my mom and you...it was really childish. It won't happen again."

His bottom lip fluttered over my knuckles again. "It's okay."

I smiled, my lips only tugging a little. "Thank you for everything."

"You're welcome." He smiled.

After letting myself get lost for a few more minutes in his arms, I asked him to take me home. My heart started racing faster the closer we got to my house. The car was in the driveway, so I knew they were home.

It's time to face the music.

Before I got out, James grabbed my hand. "If you need anything, call me and I'll be back."

"I will."

He squeezed my hand once and let me go.

James left after I stepped onto the driveway. I just stared at the house for a few minutes, feeling my insides twist with worry. As nervous as I was, I just wanted to see her.

I'm scared she'll be so mad and not even talk to me.

But it's something I need to face.

I let my feet bring me to the front door. My hand lingered on the handle before I finally turned it and the door popped open. Gray was the first to notice me. He sat his coffee down on the bar and ran to me.

He brought me into his arms, so tight I almost couldn't breathe. "I could kill you right now if I wasn't so happy to see you."

"I'm fine." I murmured, "I'm sorry I did that yesterday."