Ready To Go-Panic! At the Disco

Percy POV

"And on your left!" Tony shouted. I ducked, focusing hard to keep my balance and deflect the projectiles coming at me from every angle.

"Tony, this may be the most dangerous test you have ever created." Mom reprimanded from the side.

"Let it be, Sally, we need to know what he can and can't do with that arm on!"

The simulator floor was covered in four feet of water. Tony and the others stood on a platform while I balanced on one of the many icebergs dotting the room. From up top I was getting shot at, and from down below doors were opening periodically and letting out robots Tony had built for training.

I heard splashing to my left and switched icebergs so I could turn to face the next attacker. The metal creature resembled a polar bear mixed with a leopard. It swam smoothly through the water before leaping onto a nearby iceberg and snarling at me.

I hissed back and lifted my metal arm, directing the water under the creature to circle over it and crush it to the iceberg.

"Nice one!" Clint cheered.

I was really getting the hang of this metal arm. As it moved along with my thoughts, I could act out what I wanted the water to do, which helped my concentration.

"I'm turning it up a level, Percy!" Tony called.

"Stop telling me and just get them going!"

"Alright, alright!" Another volley of arrows was spat from the ceiling and I ducked behind a spire of ice.

Two bear-leopard hybrids climbed onto the large ice platform I was on, one on each side.

I dug in my pocket and brought out Riptide.

"You can't use that!"

"Tony, I fight with Riptide constantly. I have to adjust to the metal glove!"

"Fine."

I uncapped the pen and slashed at the first robot as it leapt at me, ducking to slice it's metal stomach open.

The second metal creature snarled at me and I smirked back at it.

The swish of something flying through the air made me duck. An arrow whizzed past and implanted itself firmly in the automaton's chest.

"Ugh! I need to program these better!" Tony complained.

"I don't have a problem with it!" I called back with a grin.

"Shut up and work on keeping yourself alive." Nat ordered.

"Yes, ma'am."

As the exercise went on, I logged the pattern in my mind, making a note to tell Tony it was too mechanical and planned.

"You done yet?" Tony finally shouted.

"What level am I on?"

"54! Your highest testing for any of these exercises is 63, and that was the weapon-on-weapon mass combat!"

"Yeah, I can be done." I was sweating profusely. It hadn't been noticeable until now, neither had my labored breathing.

Tony began to type things into the little settings board he was holding.

"Leave the water! I want to clean off a bit!" I called.

"Yes sir!" Tony saluted sarcastically.

Rolling my eyes, I dove into the water. It was refreshing and cool. I resurfaced and floated on my back for a little while.

My discussion with Frank ran through my mind.

What if I could get back on the swim team? It would take a lot of work, but I was sure I could do it.

Curious, I swam over to one of the icebergs and pulled myself up onto it. Carefully, I detached the metal arm and took off the mental connector, then slid off the glove.

I kneeled at the edge of the iceberg, taking my starting position.

I began to think through my normal swimming movements, subtracting my left arm. 

Taking a deep breath, I dove into the water.

It was immediately clear that I needed to practice. I had to adjust my swimming style to move faster and turn my head the other way from the side I normally did to breathe.

Gotta keep up appearances, you know?

My arm began to burn from the pressure I was putting on it to pull me through the water. Even though my contact with the water dispelled the pain immediately, I could tell it was there.

Finally giving up, I let the water propel me back to the iceberg where I'd left my things.

I dried myself off and picked up the metal arm and glove.

"Well it's not much, but it's a start."

[A/N Percy's working hard]