Chapter 10

Dear Diary,

Without the bone marrow transplant, I'm getting much worse. Each day, I'm weaker. I constantly have nose bleeds and can barely walk. Each day, I get worse. My hair is completely gone, I can hardly see, and I'm always getting sick. Each day, I'm less of me and more of a girl with cancer.

I thought I was going to beat this.

After my next test, Doctor Reynolds called informing us that the results didn't look too good.

False hope was given.

We made our way down to the place that became my second home. The hospital.

"We need to talk," the doctor tells my parents. He looks over at me and then back at them, his smile faltering a bit. "Sophia isn't doing too well. We need to put her on chemo as soon as possible."

"What?" they yell. "But I thought she was doing fine."

He nods his head quickly. "She was, but the results show more white blood cells than ever in her system. There's hardly any red ones, and I'm afraid chemo is our only hope."

"Fine," they state.

Doctor Reynolds shows me my room where I'll be staying for god knows how long. "Are you ready?" he asks me.

"Bring it on," I reply.

He smiles at me and brings in machines and wires, things I don't understand. I soon find myself falling asleep. All I can here is someone crying.

.

I wake up and see a figure sitting on a chair. Not just any person, it was Alex. I look around the room and see that I'm lying on a bed. There's a machine next to my bed that has wires and wires and wires attaching itself to me. On the other side, there's a heart monitor attached to my new walker that I have to take wherever I go.

I look around the room once more and see a mirror. I stare at my reflection. I don't recognize this person. They have no hair, are paler than usual, and have lots of different things hooked up to them.

This is the new me.

It's official.

"You look beautiful," someone says from the other side of the room. I smile when I see Alex.

"Thank you."

"I don't understand why this happened to you," he starts saying. "You don't deserve this. No one does."

"Thank you," I whisper. It's all that managed to come out.

He slams his fist onto the table. "This isn't fair! You have so much going for you. You have so much to live for-"

"Alex, stop-"

"No!" he yells. "The girl I love is sitting in front of me with cancer." Alex stares at me with a pained expression on her face. "But she's too afraid to say it back."

Alex leaves the room angrily, slamming the door as he does so.

I love you, Alex.

But I've been given false hope, and I can't give that to you as well.