Chapter 6

May 1, 2023

Today, Kate and Daniel attend Ms. London's funeral service. The two of them sit at the back, enjoying each other's company. Her niece does the eulogy, and Kate starts tearing up in the middle of it.

"Are you okay?" Daniel says quietly, wrapping an arm around her. She slowly nods her head. "I'll always be here for you."

Kate looks up at him and smiles. "You're the sweetest, most caring guy I know. I want to thank you for that, Daniel. I know I can always count on you."

He tightens his grip around her with a grin. "I'm glad."

.

The service is over, and the two friends decide to eat at a restaurant nearby. With a variety of food choices, nothing could be any better.

"I'm going to use the restroom," Kate tells Daniel.

He smiles and watches her leave, thinking about how it appears that they are on a date.

"Mind if I join?" a voice asks.

Daniel looks up to see Caroline, his new advisor, sitting across from him. "Actually, Kate is sitting there."

"What?" he hears her mumble. "I can't believe she lied to me."

"What are you doing here?" Daniel asks, trying to be polite.

Caroline smiles and leans in closer. "I thought we could get to know each other a little better."

"Perhaps some other time," he says looking around the room.

She rolls her eyes and reaches across the table, holding his hand. "How about now instead?" She smiles and places her soft lips against his. A second of surprise, Daniel soon kisses her back.

A moment later, Kate walks out of the restroom to see him, whom she has feelings for, with lips pressed against Caroline's.

Her heart is broken.

Her hope is lost.

.

"I thought Daniel liked Kate," she says.

"I'm confused," the others state without a second of hesitation.

I smile down at the three kids tucked away in their beds. "I'll answer all of your questions right now."

"Good," they reply in unison. "Give us Daniel's point of view."

"Daniel thought Kate didn't like him so he decided to see other people."

They nod their heads. "Now, Kate's."

"Meanwhile, Kate actually developed feelings for Daniel but doesn't know how to tell him."

Their mouths drop and they sit up in their beds. "What happens next?"

.

Tears forming, Kate rushes past them and out the door. It hurt not being able to date him but it hurt even more to see him with another girl.

The fact that she pushed Daniel away because of her job really annoyed her. Caroline didn't seem to worry about that when her and Daniel were getting to know each other.

Kate guessed that someone else was meant to come in and share the spotlight with her.

After all, everything happens for a reason.

.

May 2, 2023

"Good morn-" Kate says, stopping mid-sentence when she sees no one in Daniel's office.

'How odd,' she thinks.

Leaving the room, she walks down the hallway until she hears an angry voice shouting. Kate creeps up to the door and looks in through the tiny crack left open.

"This isn't fair! I thought you liked me," Caroline growls.

'Who is she talking to?' Kate wonders as the hidden figure was on the other side.

"I'm sorry. I had a bit too much to drink and was losing my train of thought," Daniel says as he walks up to her. "You are not losing your job, I am just simply asking you to respect this decision."

Caroline rolls her eyes and sits down in her chair. "What is this really about?"

He shrugs, looking around the room. "Nothing."

She raises an eyebrow at him. "Daniel, I know you like Kate." He doesn't say anything, earning a smile from his advisor. "It's okay. I won't say anything."

"Promise?"

"Promise. It'll be our little secret."

.

"Coffee?"

Nodding his head, Kate pours a fresh cup for the boss himself and sets it down on his desk.

"Kate, you need to join me at my meeting this afternoon."

"Which one, Daniel? The 2:30, or the 3:45 appointment?"

He looks up and gives her a shy smile. "Both?" he says as if he were asking for approval.

"I'll see you at 2:30 then. I have to run copies of the meeting agenda for the business deal with LA's company."

Turning to leave, Daniel stands from his desk and walks up to her. "Are you free tonight by any chance?"

"Depends," she jokes. 

He lets out a soft chuckle. "There's a carnival down in Millbrae. Would you like to join me?"

"I think I'd like that."