Chapter 2

Dear Diary,

Alex and I didn't go back downstairs after that. We told the parents we were catching up, and they were more than pleased. Ever since we stopped hanging out freshman year, both our families insisted on us making up . . .

Call me crazy, but I think we just did. It was a nice feeling. Knowing that he's back at my side, I felt a little more relaxed at his house.

"Let's play a game," Alex suggests.

I nod my head. "Okay. Which one?"

He thinks for awhile until his face brightens up. "Truth or dare." I give him a weird look, and he promises that if I don't want to answer a question or do a dare, I don't have to.

I smile because I know that Alex respects me and the decisions I make.

"Truth or dare?" he asks.

"Truth."

"How many boyfriends have you had?"

I bite my bottom lip, trying to remember. "Two," I reply as my final answer.

Alex stands up, looking angry. "What? Who?"

I smirk at him, shaking my head. "Sorry, buddy. You can only ask one question at a time."

He rolls his eyes. "Truth or dare?" I ask.

"Dare."

"Fine. I dare you to put on this lipstick," I say handing him my bright, red one, "and tell your mom that you need to talk with her."

His eyes widen. "No. That's cold."

"Can't handle it, Howard?"

"Bring it on, Mayer."

Alex takes the lipstick, putting it on horribly might I add, and walks downstairs with me slowly trailing behind.

"Wait!" I yell. He turns around and walks back over to me. "Smile." I wrap my arm around him and take the photo. I'm definitely keeping this.

"Mom," he says, heading in her direction.

She gives him a weird look and stands from her seat. "Alex, is everything okay?"

"I need to tell you something."

"Yes . . . "

He sighs and holds up his phone, looking at himself through the camera. "Does this color look good on me?"

.

"That was horribly embarrassing. Your parents must think I'm crazy," Alex says.

"They already did," I joke, and he nudges me.

He looks over at me and grins. "My turn. Truth or dare?"

"Truth."

Alex frowns. "But you picked that last time," he whines.

"Fine. Dare," I reply.

He smiles and looks down at the floor. "You said that you'd give me a second chance, right?"

"Yeah, three months."

"Remember that," Alex informs me, and I give him a confused look. "I dare you to go on a date with me."

And here I was, stuck in this awkward situation. I promised Alex a second chance and most certainly could not go back on my word, especially after we just clarified all of the details. However, one thing was stopping me.

And that was Matt. He's my friend, a guy that I've started to grow feelings for.

But then again, everything happens for a reason.

"Okay," I tell Alex. "I'll go on a date with you."

He smiles at me. A genuine smile, not a false one or a smirk. And for the first time, I was really excited to give him a chance.

"Do you still have my number?" I ask him.

He holds up his phone and shows me my contact. "Never deleted it."

"Sophia, we're leaving," my parents yell from the bottom of the stairs.

I gather my things and walk over to Alex. "I had a lot of fun tonight. I'll see tomorrow?"

"Yep. I'll pick you up for our date."

"You love saying that, don't you?"

"Only for the best. Good night, Soph." He gives me a hug and plants a soft kiss on my cheek.

"Night," I reply and leave his room.

.

The drive home wasn't too long, but I had to constantly remind myself that the kiss meant nothing. Alex probably does the same thing to all of the other girls. If it was of any significance, it would be that he cared about our friendship.