Chapter 2

Kate's POV

Wearing a black dress with a matching pair of heels, I walk over to Nick's house and knock on his front door.

If I could be anywhere in the world right now, I'd be in the comfort of my new couch in my new home- away from this dinner, and a house away from Daniel.

"Coming!" I hear Nick yell. He opens it up and smiles at me. "You came."

"Wouldn't miss it," I reply. The two of us walk in, and he hands me a drink. "Thanks."

"So how do you like your new place?" Nick asks. I look around and notice that our houses are very similar in color and design.

I smile at him. "I'm in love with it. It looks a lot like this actually."

He leads me to their dining room, and we take a seat. "I'm really sorry," he apologizes. "I thought Daniel would be here tonight but he's out with his girlfriend."

"That's fine," I say and look down at my necklace.

What happened to Forever & Always?

Thinking that Daniel would have actually waited eight years for me, is quite ridiculous. I guess, I just hoped it would be true.

Was I wrong or what?

"Be right back," Nick tells me and stands up. He comes out with trays of food.

"Oh my god," I say laughing. "Nick, I really appreciate this, but it's just too much."

He chuckles. "I know, I know. Daniel was supposed to come."

I shake my head, laughing at all of this food. "How long have him and his girlfriend been going out?" I ask, taking a bite of my lasagna.

Nick shrugs. "It's complicated. They have this on-again, off-again relationship," he tells me. "I think you might know her."

"Oh, really. What's her name?" I raise the glass to my lips, taking a sip from it.

"Olivia Taylor."

My eyes widening, I try my hardest not to spit out the wine. "Oh my god," I say surprised. "She was my best friend in grammar school." I look at Nick and give him a stern look. "Is that why the three of you ignored me?"

He looks down and I bite my lip, not wanting to believe what I'm hearing. I could care less that the two of them are dating. What bothers me is that their relationship happens to be the reason why the four of us lost touch.

"I'm sorry," he whispers.

I roll my eyes. "I guess it just goes to show who my true friends are."

The two of us continue eating in awkward silence until the front door slams, and loud footsteps come toward us.

"I'm home," a deep voice yells from the front room.

"In here," Nick says.

A young, attractive man walks in with his arm wrapped around a girl's waist. His dark brown hair, deep brown eyes, and evident dimples make him look irresistible. Aside from this, the man looks awfully familiar.

He looks over at me and nods his head approvingly. "Nice job, Nick."

Nick rolls his eyes in response and smirks. "Perhaps we should all get to know each other. Daniel and Olivia, this is Kate."

"Nice to meet you," Daniel says, extending his hand toward me.

I laugh. "Maybe I should do the the introducing." I take off my necklace and put it in his hand. "I'm Kate Mitchell."