Chapter 7

Kate's POV

April 26, 2023

Two days have passed since the awkward encounter with Olivia and Nate.

The thought seems to have slipped Daniel's mind as he shows little interest, if that, at all.

I woke up awhile ago and am ready to go on an adventure. How do I plan on doing this? By shopping at the mall of course.

I drive over, and in about fifteen minutes, am in the parking lot, walking toward the big shopping arena.

I pull out my phone. No calls, no texts. Same as usual. I bump into someone and apologize instantly.

"It's okay," they reply.

I look up from my phone the second I recognize their voice. "Oh. Hello."

"Hi," Olivia says, sending me a smile. "Listen. I know Daniel and I aren't taking anymore, but that doesn't mean we have to stop as well."

"I don't know if that's a good idea," I trail.

She plays with her hair. "But Kate, remember our promise?"

I sigh and give her a weak smile. "I'm sorry, Liv, but some promise are made to be broken."

I walk away from her, not even bothering to look back. I had just lost my best friend. Again.

Only this time, I'm not upset.

.

"Where have you been?" Nick asks as I walk into their kitchen.

By now, coming over to their place was a part of my regular routine. I mean, if you give someone a key, which probably wasn't the smartest idea, you should expect them to visit a lot.

Truth be told, I spend more time at their house rather than my own.

"The mall," I reply.

Him and Daniel exchange looks and groan. "Ugh. I hate that place."

"Wonder why," I smirk. "Is it because of your blind date?"

Nick rolls his eyes. "Exactly. And the worst part, it's tonight!"

A smile spreads across my face. "Interesting."

"I don't like that look," Nick says, backing away.

"Neither do I," Daniel agrees.

"Please," I huff. "I just want to help you get ready."

Nick gives me an appalled look. "With what? I'm fine going out like this."

I take in his appearance and frown. Ripped jeans, stained shirt, old shoes, uncombed hair: this boy needs a lot of help if he wants this date to go well.

"Come with me." I drag Nick upstairs, him glancing back at Daniel, who laughs, for help.

We walk into his room, and I'm surprised with how clean it is, considering his interesting outfit choices.

I rummage through Nick's closest in order to find the nicest outfit for tonight.

"Ew," I say, tossing aside a black and white striped shirt.