Chapter 2

"What am I supposed to wear to this, Rachel?" Kate asks her best friend from Los Angeles over the phone.

"Something cute," she replies. Kate rolls her eyes, knowing Rachel can't see. "How about that dress you wore to my party?"

"Which one?" she jokes, figuring she meant the one for her graduation. She pulls out the tight, white-laced dress with a pair of black wedges.

Rachel laughs on the other end. "Very funny. Did you find it?"

"Yes. I better get going. Call you soon."

She hangs up, and Kate gets herself ready. She applies mascara and red lipstick, and using the curling iron, twirls her hair into loose blonde curls.

"There," Kate says, taking a step back from the mirror. She stares at her reflection and smiles, thinking about everything she has been through.

It took a lot of work but she's finally back home. Although she left her family and friends behind, Kate knows this is what's best for her. Not to mention that she's working as an assistant for the boss of the biggest company in all of San Francisco.

Kate heads downstairs and turns on the football game just as the doorbell rings.

"Hello, Ka-" Daniel says but stops mid-sentence. "Wow. You look lovely."

She blushes and invites him inside. "Thank you. Would you like something to drink?"

He shakes his head no and turns his attention to the large flatscreen TV in front. "You watch football?"

She laughs at Daniel's reaction. "Of course. What else is there?"

He smiles at her response and chuckles. "You really haven't changed much, have you?"

"Guess not. So, are we leaving now or what?"

.

They pull up in front of a large house, a mansion if you will. Kate steps outside and follows Daniel up the stoned-path to the front door.

"Daniel," a beautiful woman exclaims as soon as she opens the door.

He smiles at her. "Hello, mom. You remember Kate, don't you?"

She turns her attention toward Kate, who watches Mrs. Mayer's expression change to one of surprise. "My god. You look just like your mother, you beautiful girl."

Mrs. Mayer embraces Kate in a hug which she gladly accepts. "It's great to see you again."

Mrs. Mayer lets go and drags her inside, forgetting all about her son still standing in the doorway. Kate hears him laugh and shut the front door after he walks in.

"Robert, look who I have here. It's the Mitchell girl!"

The older man grabs his cane and stands from the couch. He slowly walks toward Kate and gives her a hug. "How's it been, kid?"

"Great," she laughs.

And it really was. Kate was back home surrounded by the people she loves.

.

"And that was how their night started," I tell them.

They exchange puzzled looks and huddle in a circle. They're smart which is why I wonder what questions they have now.

The youngest raises his hand and then lowers it. "Go on," the other two tell him. He sticks it back in the air, and I call on him.

"Did Daniel really invite Kate over because of his parents?"

I smile. "Let's find out."

.

"Kate, you have to tell us everything. How was Los Angeles?" Mrs. Mayer asks.

Kate smiles at the old couple. "It was wonderful. I met a lot of new people, made a lot of friends, and did a ton of homework," she jokes.

Mr. Mayer whacks Daniel's arm. "See this one," he says, pointing to Kate. "Don't let her go."

Daniel's eyes widen, and his mom laughs, chiming into the conversation. "Don't get me wrong, Kate. We're glad to have you over here, but Daniel begged me to invite you. He must have really missed you," she winks.

"Oh really," Kate smirks at the twenty-three year-old man in front of her. "But I thought-"

"That's enough thinking," Daniel interrupts clearly embarrassed. "Who wants some dessert?"

Mr. and Mrs. Mayer share a look, as they smile over at one another. "No, no. Dessert can wait. I think that we should hear what Kate has to say," she teases.

Daniel's face darkens as it turns a deeper shade of red. "Well I think that we should have dessert. Chocolate cake won't last forever."

"Don't you mean, forever and always?" Kate says with a laugh, attempting to make Daniel embarrassed. It had definitely worked.

.

"Are you going to tell me what's going on?" Kate asks with a hint of humor on the drive home.

"What do you mean?" Daniel says, acting clueless.

She raises an eyebrow. "You wanting me to come over for dinner . . . "

"Look." He pauses. "I really missed you and wanted to spend some time with you . . . outside of the office."

Kate smiles and looks over at him. "So you don't have any feelings for me like your mom implied?"

Daniel takes a deep breath. "Well, um . . . " He pulls up in front of Kate's house, and she leans in closer to him.

"We're just friends. Right, Daniel?"

He turns toward Kate to see her inches away. "Of course," he stutters.

Kate sighs. Her heart was aching. Little did she know, so was his.

"Right. Just friends," she mumbles. "I should probably go."

Daniel nods his head and faces away from her when he feels a pair of warm lips press against his cheek.

"Goodnight, Daniel. I'll see you tomorrow."

He waves goodbye and waits for her to get inside. "Goodnight," he whispers.