Chapter 5

April 30, 2023

"Good morning, Dan-" Kate says as she walks into his office and stops mid sentence when she sees another person in the room. "Oh, hi."

The beautiful young woman turns toward her and smiles. "Hello, Kate."

Kate raises an eyebrow at her and looks over at a grinning Daniel. "I'm sorry, but who is this?"

He stands up and brings the two women closer together.

'She does look kind of familiar,' Kate thinks.

Daniel looks back and forth between them. "Kate, this is Olivia Taylor, you're best friend from grammar school."

"Oh my god," Kate cheers and brings her in for a hug. "I missed you so much!"

"I missed you too. You have no idea," Olivia says and lets a tear fall down her cheek. They part from their hug, and Olivia smiles. "When Daniel called and said that you were back in the city, I knew I had to visit."

"You don't live here?"

She shakes her head. "I live in Sacramento now. But if it means getting to visit you, a four hour drive is worth it."

"I'm really glad you're back, Liv."

"Me too. I'm staying for a week so we'll have lots of time to catch up."

Kate looks over at Daniel and gives him a hug. "Thank you," she whispers, "for everything."

.

"Are you sure you don't want to come?" Kate asks Daniel for the last time.

"I'll pass. Let the girls catch up."

Olivia rolls her eyes, and the two girls leave the building.

"Mall?" they ask at the same time, leading to lots of laughter.

Agreeing on that being their destination, Kate starts the car as Olivia flips through the radio stations. Almost halfway through the drive, the girl beside her lowers the volume and turns it off.

"I have a question for you," Olivia states. Kate nods her head, telling her to continue. "How long have you and Daniel been dating?"

Kate's eyes widen as she looses control of the wheel and successfully drives them back into the proper lane. "Oh my god," she says out of breath. "I'm sorry about that, you just caught me off guard. And to answer your question, Daniel and I aren't a couple."

"Oh," she says a bit disappointed. "I could've sworn you two were by the way he looks at you."

"We're just friends," Kate says, cutting her off. "He asked me out, but I told him no. It wouldn't be appropriate for an assistant to date her boss."

Olivia shrugs and taps away on her phone. "Well if you weren't working together, would you?"

Kate parks the car in the lot, and the two step out as they gather their things. "Most likely," she replies. "Daniel's a great guy."

"Are you seeing anyone at the moment?" Kate asks.

Olivia laughs as the two of them enter an ice cream shop and sit at one of the tables nearby. "You're going to think this is hilarious," she tells her.

The concerned best friend gives her a worried look. "Go on."

"I'm dating Nick!" Kate gives her a puzzled look. "You know, Nick Howard- Daniel's best friend from grammar school that we always hung out with. I'm his girlfriend!"