Chapter 8

Dear Diary,

The doctors said I'm allowed to leave the house but only if someone is wth me . . .

This is my third week of blood cancer. Happy almost one month anniversary, leukemia. You suck.

Alex came knocking on my door a couple days after the test. "I hear that you're allowed to leave," he says with a bright smile. "I'm stealing you for the day."

He helps me down the stairs and into the car. His mom was taking us somewhere.

"Hi, Sophia," Olivia says as she looks through the mirror. "How's everything going?"

I sigh. "Pretty good. There's less white blood cells than there were before."

She gives me a sympathetic smile before pulling out of the driveway. Alex reaches over and holds my hand.

"You're going to love this," he tells me. Olivia stops driving and waves us goodbye as we walk over to a grassy area. There was a blanket and a note placed on top of it.

"Open it."

I slowly bend down and pick up the note, eyeing it curiously. I peel the sticker off and the cover flies up almost immediately.

To my dearest Sophia,

You're beautiful. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Thank you for giving me a second chance. You are the best thing that has ever happened to me.

Love, Alex.

"We never really discussed this," he says. "But is the bet over?"

"Yeah it is," I laugh. "And thank you for this note. It is really sweet."

Alex smiles and grabs my hand, helping me sit down. "I'm so glad you're happy, Soph. You make me happy."

I give him a weak smile and look down. I can't give Alex false hope when there's a chance I might not beat this.

"You make me happy too," I whisper.

.

It's a week later. Doctor Reynolds called saying he has great news. My parents, along with Alex and I, rush over to the hospital where we are met by the man himself.

"Please. See me at my office," he states.

We follow him inside and sit down. "What do you need to tell us?" my mom asks.

"We have a donor."

"A what?" Alex says and I tell him to sit back down.

"Sophia," the doctor continues, "someone has offered to give you their bone marrow for transplant."

My eyes water from happiness. "Oh my god. Thank you," I say crying. "Thank you for everything." My parents and Alex give me hugs and tell me how lucky I am.

God, thank you for not losing hope in me and for not letting me lose hope in myself.

Cancer won't see it coming.