Chapter 6

Dear Diary,

I'm a little nervous. My mom keeps telling me everything will be fine, but I have this horrible feeling at the back of my head . . .

My mom and I arrive at the hospital and are immediately checked in. My doctor comes out right away, asking to see us as soon as possible.

"Please step into my office," he tells us. I sit down in the chair as my mom stands behind me, her hands on my shoulders. Doctor Reynolds hands her a package full of information and takes off his glasses, running a hand through his hair.

"I'm here!" my dad says as he runs in.

"Daniel, what are you doing here?" my mother asks.

He gives her a confused look. "Doctor Reynolds called me and said it was very important. He told me I should be here."

I look over at the man full of answers I want to know. My eyes were watering, and I could sense something bad.

Doctor Reynolds holds my hand and gently squeezes it. "Sophia, I'm sorry to inform you that you have been diagnosed with leukemia."

And that diary, is how I got my blood cancer.

Forget about ice cream. I want to go home.

.

I am currently in my room trying to process all that has happened. It all makes sense. The blurriness, the vomiting . . . the blood.

I'm a sick girl, a dying girl who doesn't know if she has a chance at beating this. Doctor Reynolds informed my parents and I that thirty percent of children are diagnosed with leukemia.

He said that I will be one of the survivors.

I just have to be strong.

And stay positive.

.

Alex came over later that day. Luckily, my parents told his family about my cancer. I wouldn't be able to tell them myself. As soon as he walked through the door, I could tell that he had been crying.

He enveloped me into a warm, tight hug and whispered three promising words.

"You'll beat this."

Alex took my hand and held it as we cried on the couch, enjoying each other's company.

Sometimes, I wish Matt and I were still friends. Part of me wants him to know about my cancer and stick by my side like any good friend would.

Then I remember what he did to my friendship with Alex, all the pain he caused over the years and all the lies he told.

Matt is just another memory I'll have to forget.

So, as I sit on the couch with my best friend, I think about my life.

Yesterday, I was a normal fifteen year-old girl. Today, I'm a girl with cancer.

.

Life was boring other than the fact that I am now a sick girl who isn't allowed to do anything without parental supervision. Cancer sucks.

My parents said that I have to go for treatment every week in hopes of seeing improvement. Doctor Reynolds would run all sorts of tests on me, and just like the last one, would probably say that there are too many white blood cells and that cancer is still there.

Great.

I was sitting at the kitchen counter, looking online when I felt something tickle my back. I ignored the feeling until one a bit smaller happened again. I touched the back of my neck and shoulders and started crying when I saw what was in my hand.

My hair.

A piece of my gorgeous brown hair.

My hair is falling out.