Chapter 7

Dear Diary,

I'm a girl with cancer now. This isn't really how I wanted to start off my summer . . .

"We can beat this," the doctor tells my parents the following week at the hospital. "The treatment is showing lots of improvement. Some of the white blood cells are already clearing up."

My mom smiles over at my dad, her eyes full of hope. I feel horrible; this is all my fault.

"Are you still looking for a bone marrow donor?" my father asks.

Doctor Reynolds nods his head. "We are trying our best, but it will be expensive."

"I don't care. I'll do anything for my little girl."

The doctor smiles over at me and continues. "You got great parents. As for today, we need to run a blood test and compare the results to the other ones," he informs us. "Are you ready to go, Sophia?"

I nod my head, and he leads me out of the room into the hallway. I look down in embarrassment. My hair is short, my face is pale, and I am a girl with cancer. I don't want people seeing me like this.

"Wait!" someone yells after us.

I turn around to see Alex. He came here for me. He walks over since he knows how weak I am and pulls me in for a hug. "You got this," he tells me and kisses my lips.

It was our first kiss.

And although I enjoyed every bit of it, I wish it wasn't because of my cancer.

"I love you," he tells me.

I smile at him as we walk away, not being able to tell him the same. Even though I do, I'm not ready to share this information with him. Alex shouldn't be dating a dying girl, let alone be told that he is loved by one.

.

The blood test was over, and all Doctor Reynolds had to do was put a bandaid on me.

"You did good kid," he tells me, placing it on.

I give him a weak smile because I know that's what he tells all his patients. It's what we all want to hear.

I grab my walker and slowly exit the room. They gave me one since I can barely move around the house. I'm too weak and fragile.

My parents and the Howard's have been really helpful throughout all of this. They've been my support system, and I couldn't be any more grateful.

.

When I got home, I was disappointed to see that yet another strand of my hair had fallen out; it was just a little above my shoulders now.

This made me think of all of the fundraisers and events that take place, the donations made, the awareness that's spread, and how people with cancer are proud to be people with cancer.

I stand in front of my mirror and stare back at my reflection. I raise the scissors to my head and slowly chop off all of my hair. It is just below my ear. My whole head is full of thin hair.

But I don't care. I look good. I feel good.

And I'm proud of myself because I haven't given up.

"Watch out, cancer. I'm coming for you."