"Fine." I mumble, looking away as he slips out of the room. I jump up from my seat as soon as the door closes behind him, rushing over to the small window in the door and looking out. I watch as Stiles meets up with Scott and pats him on the back before heading to econ. Readjusting my bag over my shoulder, my hand stills on the doorknob. The door behind me opening.

"Terra."

"Crap."

"We need to talk."

Turning, I hold back a sigh, "Well I really don't want to hear it."

"It's about your parents." I don't say anything. "Your mother and father were friends with my family. They trusted us with a very important secret." I blink, my body not allowing me to react in any sort of way. "A secret that I can't even tell you. Especially now. It would only put you and your friends in more danger."

"This is bullshit."

Derek recoils, his body tensing, "I would feel the same way. Just let me explain, please."

"Why didn't you take me?"

"What?"

"Your family was supposed to take me. But you didn't. You sent me...." I pause, my voice rising above my liking, "You sent me to the system. For seven years. I was alone. I thought everyone I ever knew was dead and I was the only one left. And then I find out that I was given up? That the people who were supposed to take care of me sent me into the system? You can't explain that Derek!" I shout, my chest heaving. "You can't explain that."

"It was safer." Tears prick my eyes, I shake my head quickly, ignoring his words. "When your parents died my mom knew that someone was after you. And if you stayed with us you would have just been more vulnerable."

"If you're going to lie at least make the excuse believable."

"It was my mom's call."

"Great! That makes everything better."

"Terra- if we would have taken custody of you, you would have died. One year after your parent's death, my entire family was murdered. Humans and werewolves alike."

My mouth falls open, my mind completely drawing blank on the Hale house fire in the heat of the moment. How could I have been so stupid and selfish? "I'm sorry. I forgot- I'm sorry."

"I'm sorry." Derek answers, his eyes cast downwards as he sucks in a breath, "Stay safe Terra."

He goes to leave the room but one thing he said gnaws on my conscious, "Derek wait- you said someone was after me. Are they still?"

Derek pauses, his leather jacket rippling with the tensing of his muscles, "Yes."

"Do you know who?" I beg.

"Yes."

I pause, noticing the grit in his voice, "Can you tell me who it is?"

"No."

He doesn't spare me another glance as he leaves the room, the door closing with a soft click.

Curled up with my legs pulled up to my chest and my head resting on my knees, I keep my hearing sharp. Listening to the stomping of teenager's feet. All of them anxiously making their way outside for the lacrosse scrimmage.

I don't move, my eyes staring directly in front of me. Next to me my phone rings for the fourth time within the hour. Stiles' name flashing across the screen. But I can't bring myself to answer it. I can't even fathom moving from my hiding spot within the library.