Chapter 14 | The Number

(A/n: you'll start to notice I've been using Evan more.. Don't worry 'bout it too much.. ;))

Evan's POV:

The school day is slow, but hanging with Delirious kind of makes it better, even though he's starting to change. I'll always be here for him. It seems as the guys and I are..somewhat.. Cool. We sat down at the table, that was now full since Luke and I joined, and Scotty.

Everyone was chatting it up on their own while, once again, Delirious was quiet. I teased him and poked his cheek. He looked over at me, I smiled, while he gave no expression. I shrug and feel awkward. I wonder how he feels? Or..what he thinks he feels? I clear my throat,
"What's the game plan for today?"

He doesn't answer.

"Are you coming over today like usual or am I going over..- er.." I try to start.

"I was just thinking of being alone today.." He said quietly.

"Oh.. U-Um, yeah..that's- that's cool too, heh." I rub my neck and feel myself get red. I feel like an overly attached girlfriend or boyfriend. We're not even a thing and I..-

"So, Evan, how are your grades this semester?" Scotty piped up in a sassy tone, but playful.

"Good, actually. All A's..well..one C+ and a B-, but that's only cause I was absent the two days," I defended.

"Uh-huh..sure," David laughed.

"No one asked you, David!" Lui snapped his fingers in his face.

I rolled my eyes and asked Scotty the same question. "Well, I've got all A's. A+'s to be exact." He said quite snobbish-like.

"What's your GPA?" Marcel asked, looking fascinated.

"4.07,"

"Wow, gettin' up there, bro! You're smart..and a smartass. Two in one." Marcel playfully punched him.

"Don't people call you 407, too?" Craig asked.

"Yeah, but that's the only reason why.. My GPA has stayed like that, throughout the years, it started in fourth grade, I was the smartest kid in class..but the good and bad thing is that it's stayed like that, hasn't unimproved or improved. It's weird, I know," Scotty explained.

"Well, you're just smart and dumb at the same time then, or will be dumb," Tyler snickered.

"Hey!"

The guys then started to playfully fight and tease at each other. I laughed and watched them. I look over and see that Luke and Delirious were both gone. I shrugged and sighed, he did say he wanted to be alone. And Luke does his own thing.

--

After school, I dropped off Delirious at home and drove to my house, alone. Usually, we'd both hang out after school, but now that he's beginning to get sadder and quieter, it's been different. I'm not used to being home alone. I mean, I'm used to it, but you know.. I dropped my bag and took out some homework. I read the instructions on the paper, 'Write ten paragraphs about your wish for the future, must be neat, organized, grammar correct, and use three sensory imageries.' My mind drew a blank at the lined paper. My wish for the future. I could write a whole lot down. About how I want to help Jonathan, be with Jonathan. But that's too personal, I'm not very close with this teacher. But..it's all I've got. Maybe I could brainstorm at a better time.

My phone went off and I quickly picked it up, hoping it was him. No, it was Luke, not that, that was a bad thing.. Sorta.

Luke -.-: Hey, what's up?

Me: Nothing much, just drawing blanks on this stupid ass homework.

Luke -.-: Which one?

Me: Mrs. Kassala, writing, future..thingy -_-

Luke -.-: Oh, really? It's hard for you? I just now finished that. It was pretty easy.

Me: Well, good for you.

Luke -.-: Lol, thanks.

Me: Hey, where'd you go at lunch?

Luke -.-: You know me, I just kind of wandered.

Me: You sure, you weren't with Delirious or anything, cause when you left he did too.

Luke -.-: Uh, no. Why?

Me: Don't worry about me just.. Yeah.. Heh gtg bye!

Luke -.-: Okay, bye.

I turned off my phone and rubbed my face. This was so stressful.

--

I stared at the ceiling. The back of my hand on my forehead and my other hand on my stomach. My stomach went up and down as I breathed steadily. This was pathetic, moping that Delirious wasn't here, in the dark. I know I love him. I've loved him from the first day. I still love him. I love him so much it hurts to not always be with him. He's so different, unique, that's what I love about him. I hate seeing him miserable, most likely, because of him not understanding his emotions and feelings.

I slowly sat up and crawled out my window on my roof. I looked up at the night sky. The stars were shining bright tonight, they usually don't come out often with this kind of weather; the clouds would block them. The air was cold and crisp. I could see my breath when I exhaled. I didn't mind the cold anymore and laid down. Before I knew it, my eyes closed and I dreamt of the dark, blue night sky.

--

Jonathan's POV:

I wake up with a throbbing headache. More of those odd dreams, they all seem so familiar in a way. I sniff a few times and wipe my face. It was wet? Was I crying in my sleep? I shook my head and sniffed once more, I couldn't smell anything. I felt tired and didn't want to get up this morning. I managed to drag myself out of bed and get ready. I walked down the creaking stairs and saw that Cori and Mother were talking. "Good morning, Jonathan. How'd you sleep?" My mother asked.

"Okay," I simply answer.

She raised an eyebrow, "Hey, you feel okay? You don't look so well,"

I grit my teeth, "I wouldn't know, mother."

"No need for that tone! Now, let's get you some medicine, you look like you're coming down with something, you are very pale."

She got up and went to the bathroom to do so. Cori rolls her eyes at me and continues to eat. I sit down next to her and stare at my plate my mother had made for me. This meal didn't look appetizing. My stomach growled and tightened. I was hungry, but I didn't really want to eat.
"Aren't you going to eat? I heard that stomach growl, hell, Mom could'a probably heard it." Cori suddenly said.

"I'm fine, since when do you worry about me?" I say in a tone.

"Since you started to starve yourself, now eat."
"I'm not starving myself,"
"Yes you are, or do you even realize it?"
"No, I probably don't, I promise you, I'm not hungry. Damn.." I groan.

"Teh. Whatever, don't say I didn't try to help you when you're about to die of starvation." She spat.

Mother can back with some red circle shaped pills. I grabbed them and took a drink of the orange juice to help them down.

All of a sudden, I fell back and blacked out.

-----