Chapter 22 | It's Not Too Late

Delirious

I wake up to the smell of eggs and bacon. I raise slowly, but groan, my body screaming at me. I was sore from all that training yesterday. I ignore it and get up anyway, rubbing my slightly itchy eyes. This was an unusual morning in fact. My mother had been gone, not caring about me, even my sister, and now they're cooking eggs and bacon and training me?

Unusual indeed.

I try not to think into it too much. I look at the clock and notice it's quarter to 9:00. I jump out of my bed taking a double-take. I rush downstairs and see my mother cooking. She's humming a tune.. "She'll be comin' 'round the mountain when she comes.."

"Mom!" I say a bit loud to get her attention. She turns her head and raises an eyebrow.

"Hm, what's up pumpkin?" She asks, very casually, as if I wasn't in a rush.

"Why did you turn off my alarm? I have school, that I might add, I'm very late for!" I exclaim.

I did not want to miss school. In fact, I have come to love school. The reason it being that I learn something new everyday. I do teach myself some things at home reading websites and such. My mother could describe me - as she has once before - "a new born discovering a new world".

"Well," she begins and sets down a plate for me at the table, "I decided to keep you home for today, you need your rest,"

"But Mom.. You know I love school!" I whine.

"Yes, pumpkin, but I know your body is screaming at you right now," she gives me a look.

"How'd you know?"

"I can tell by the way your sitting, slid back into the chair and your legs hardly bent."

I snort and agree. I slowly sit up, struggling to not hurt my body, and rest my hand, I was expecting soft skin, but no, just the hard, cold mask.
That led to me to curiosity on this silly mask.

"Hey.. Mom?" I begin, as she walks with her plate to the table and sits down. "Why..I know I asked this before, but why do I have to wear this mask.."

"Well, silly, we don't want people to see-"

"No," I said quickly, "I mean, why can't I see what's under this mask?"

She stayed silent for a moment, hesitant to answer. She sighed and laughed a little.

"You know, I'm not quite sure," she answered, but I knew there was more to what she was saying so I waited.

"Your father just told me to tell you that.."

I raise an eyebrow.

"Well, why have you been nicer than last time.. No offense.." I say a bit quiet.

She made eye contact with me and smiled softly.

"I was waiting for that one," she sighed, "your father warned us at first, that you might've been dangerous. But seeing as you didn't turn out that way, of course we've changed. It's complicated I suppose, but.. it's really all the information I am able to inform you."

I nodded and gripped my fork, lifting it to stab the fluffy-looking eggs.

"Thanks," I simply say and her smile widened. I don't know what I did to make her smile, but I did something.