Chapter 5 - Levi and Kaylie Ackermen

"It's crazy how someone who used to be a huge part of your life, can be gone in a second."

*Eight years earlier; Two years into the apocalypse*

An eleven year old boy sat outside the adults tent, his mother's friend's cry rang out in the night, childbirth during a zombie apocalypse. He looked to the sky's. Midnight. The northern lights danced above him.

"I'm glad you're happy," he said to them. "We can't be happy anymore."

He remembered back a few months ago when their well fortified home was finally brought down by the beasts. They took it over during the night. His older cousin, Ava and her husband were killed, Gran died before they got in. Passed in her sleep. She didn't know the beasts had gotten in. There was blood everywhere. Only three of them lived. His mother, her friend, and himself. Everything got quiet. Levi looked to the tent. Then an infant's cry rang out. He was confused. It was a sound he hasn't heard before. His mother came outside. She put a hand on Levi's shoulder. He looked up at her.

"Would you like to come see the baby?" she asked.

Levi got up and followed his mother into the tent. His mother's friend was holding a bundle of blankets, but he only noticed that after, he noticed his mother's friend was pale, almost a faint shade of light grey. He didn't question it though. He doesn't question his elders. Ava's husband taught him that. He looked at the infant's face. She looked like Gran.

"I don't know what to name her. What do you two think?" the new mother asked.

"Kaylie," Levi said.

"Kaylie?"

"Kaylie Michelle," Levi said.

Michelle looked down at her daughter and smiled. "Kaylie Michelle Ackermen."

Levi's mother was shocked.

"Why would you say that?!" she demanded.

"If something happens and I don't make it. I want you two to raise her."

Levi looked at Kaylie, she wouldn't smile, but when his mother looked at her she did smile.

"She doesn't like me," Levi stated.

"Give her time. She'll eventually smile for you," Michelle said, "I don't think I have enough energy to move tomorrow like we planned. Could we stay here just one more day?"

Levi's mother looked at her.

"Of course Michelle. You need the rest."

Michelle fell asleep. Levi looked at Kaylie.

'I promise to be the best brother in the world.'

*The Next Day*

          The four living walked down a well-beaten trail. It was most likely a game trail, worn down by the deer that walked down it. Levi's mother would cast glances at Michelle. Michelle was looking even worse than the other day. She was close to walking very sluggish.

"Are you sure you don't want to stop to rest?" Levi's mother asked.

Michelle shook her head.

"No...I'm still good. We can keep going."

"Okay then. Just say stop and we'll stop," Levi's mother said.

They walked down the trail for an hour more before Michelle spoke up.

"Annabelle, I don't think I'm feeling to good."

Annabelle and Levi stopped. They helped Michelle to an old tire that had been abandoned. Probably before the apocalypse started. Levi looked at his mother.