Chapter 15 - Not Goodbye

"Fear is life's only true opponent.
Only fear can defeat life."

Tori opened the door just enough so she could slip through. She put her hands in her pockets as she walked through the building towards the kitchen trying to avoid the boys. No one said anything when they saw her. All they saw was Tori walking into the kitchen. She dropped her bag just inside the main door then disappeared from the group's sight. Travis slowly stood up but Levi caught his arm. He gave Kaylie a look and she nodded. She pushed herself off the floor and walked into the kitchen where Tori was sitting on the counter staring out the window.

"Tori?" Kaylie asked in a small voice.

The girl looked back at the younger and gave her a weak smile. Kaylie approached her. Tori reached down and lifted the girl up and set her down on the counter in front of her.

"What's on your mind?"

"I was scared you were really leaving and never coming back. Now that I see you here, I know I'm not losing one of my big sister. But where's Darcie? Did I lose the other one?"

Tori hesitated before answering.

"No you didn't. Darcie is just outside on the deck and thinking. She doesn't want to be bothered so she stayed out there. I just came inside so people know we're back."

Kaylie nodded.

"I really don't want to lose you two."

"Don't worry. You won't."

Tori reached out and ruffled the girl's hair. Kaylie jumped off the counter and left the kitchen. She walked into the living room and sat back on the floor.

"Darcie is on the deck. She doesn't want to be both-"

Travis ignored what the girl was saying after he got his sister's location. He stood up and went immediately to the front door. He opened it and saw his sister sitting on the edge of the deck with her back to him.

"Darcie?"

"Fuck off, Travis."

"Darcie, please talk to me."

"Leave before I have to."

"Dar-"

"Travis, you heard the girl. Leave her alone. You can talk to her when she wants to be talked to," another voice cut through the air.

Travis looked behind him and didn't see anyone. He raised an eyebrow when a throat cleared. He looked down and saw Hunter.

"Just leave her be for now. Besides. Us guys need to discuss something inside."

Travis looked at his little sister before going inside. Hunter also looked back at Darcie but she turned to meet his gaze.

"Thank you," she whispered.

He nodded before going back into backup base.

"Okay. We need to discuss what we plan on doing about our base. We can't stay here forever. Hell, we can't stay here long. We need to make a plan. Someone or some people need to go back. Okay. I will volunteer to go back. Anyone want to join me?" Hunter asked.

"I'll come," Levi offered.

"If no one plans on getting hurt today, I'll come along," Dawson added.

"Okay. That should be enough people. Darcie and Tori can take care of Kaylie if she needs anything. Let's get this show on the road. Get whatever shit you think you may need."

The three males went and got a few weapons and some extra ammo.

"Why?" Dawson asked Hunter when the older male came into the room with a crossbow.