Chapter 10 - Challenging Death

"Destroy what destroys you."

Kaylie was in the kitchen area, putting together her pistol. She had been cleaning it just as Anthony walked in and sat down at the table with her.

"What is it like to be the youngest human alive?" he asked.

"You have to grow up before you are even a pre-teen. I don't know any world other than this one. Levi tells me stories about how it was before all of this. What's it like being one of the last darker people?"

Anthony looked at her.

"Well, it really is odd. I haven't seen another black person in a long time. In all of those old horror movies the black man was always the first to die. I'm not dead, and that actually surprises me," he admitted.

Leo came into the room after that.

"Kaylie, Anthony, you two want to come exploring with me?" he asked.

"Why not?"

Kaylie put the last piece of her gun in place.

"Sure."

"Okay, let's go!" Leo said, jogging to the front door.

Anthony and Kaylie approached Leo. However as soon as they started to leave, a voice interrupted them.

"Leo, where are you going?"

The small group looked back at Travis.

"Well," Leo started. "You see-"

He turned and quickly sprinted out of the building. Travis shifted his gaze to Kaylie and Anthony. He gave them an expecting look. Kaylie looked between the two males nervously before sprinting after Leo. Anthony was about to do the same expect Travis lunged forward and grabbed his arm.

"Just tell Leo he has one job, but I'm not mad at him."

Anthony nodded and Travis released the darker male's arm. After catching up to the other two, Leo told Anthony what he wanted to do.

"Hunter found an infested building and he wanted someone to go see how big it was, as he had to go do something else. I was unlucky enough to be the person he saw. So we are going to go see how big the infestation is and we are heading right back to the base. Got it?"

Kaylie nodded her head.

"Yep," Anthony said.

"Okay, let's go find the infestation,'" Leo said as he turned back and headed toward the general location Hunter had told him.

"Aren't you supposed to be the guard of the base?" Anthony asked.

"Yeah. So? Travis is still there."

"I don't think it's the guard's job to leave the base at any time," Anthony pointed out.

"Want to tell Hunter that? Don't tell Travis I said this but I don't think he's qualified to stay behind and watch the entire base. As the leader of the group, he has other shit he has to do. As the guard, my only responsibility is to protect the base at all costs. I hope Darcie and Tori get back soon. Maybe they'll be able to help Travis," Leo confessed.

"Well that was a complete waste of time," Darcie growled as she and Tori approached the door of the base.

"Not a total waste. Maybe a partial waste. I mean, we did find some knives."

"Kitchen knives. Unless we plan on making Leo make chicken cordon bleu for supper tonight, they're pretty fucking useless."

"What is that?"