Chapter 1

Ashton's POV

Waking up on Sunday morning, the day before the first day of school, I shower to refresh myself from the dinge that is morning. When I'm all clean, I get out and dry off to change into a black v-neck t-shirt and dark blue denim jeans. I brush out my wet hair, blow-drying it so I don't look like a wet dog, and put on a black beanie. To finish off the look for the day, I put on one of my few necklaces, or chains if you will, and my black Jordan's. With one last look in the mirror, I go downstairs to the kitchen and find my mom there. She's making breakfast for us, and I'm guessing my dad is in his office. My mother stays at home since my father is always busy with his work, usually never around in the first place. My mother used to be a teacher, but gave that up after she had my sister and I.

"Hey mom," I greet.

"Hey honey, ready for tomorrow?" she asks, her usual cheery smile on her face.

"Yep, but I need to go to the mall to get some things for school," I lie. I need to go to the mall, to see my friends, and get some alcohol but my mom doesn't need to know that.

"Okay, sweetie," she replies. So I walk into the living room, seeing my sister there staring at the tv. She's watching SpongeBob, totally consumed by it. She's fourteen years old, but sometimes acts like she's my mother. She's going to be a freshmen this year which is nerve-wracking for me, but I'll make sure no one bothers her.

"Hey sis," I say, but she doesn't say anything back, nor does she blink. I wave a hand in front of her, but still nothing. Finally, I pick her up and drop her back down on the couch. This finally gets her out of her trance, looking at me with wide eyes.

"What was that for?" she exclaims.

"Hello to you, too," I respond, making her roll her eyes. "You were too busy watching tv and wouldn't answer me."

"Did you have a question?" she asks, crossing her arms over her chest with the typical dramatic look on her face.

"Nope," I answer, popping the 'p'. She glares at me harshly. "Wait, I have a question now."

"Then say it, woman."

"Why are you watching sponge bob?"

"Uh um, I'm not?" she stutters, but it comes out more like a question. This causes me to roll my eyes but a smile finds a way to my face. She's ridiculous. I shake my head, chuckling lightly.

"Sure you're not," I state which makes her smile.

"So, what do you really want?" she questions, moving to get comfortable on the couch.

"Well, I'm going to the mall and was wondering if you need anything," I ponder. She looks thoughtful for a second, bringing one of her hands to her chin, slightly stroking it as one would do if they had a beard.

"Not that I can think of."

"Okay, I'll see you later," I say, waving over my shoulder, as I walk out. With a pitstop in the kitchen, I steal a sausage link and waffle from my mom. This makes her laugh lightly while I give her a kiss on the head, saying goodbye. On my way out of the house, I eat my waffle and sausage, getting on my black, cruiser motorcycle. Pulling out of the driveway, I make my trek to the mall.

Soon enough I'm at the mall and parking my bike. With a swing of my leg, I'm off my bike and slowly trotting into the mall. My first destination is the alcohol store and I grab a 30 rack of Bud Light for me and the boys. Then I pay for them, with my fake ID, of course. I take the bag out to my bike, putting it in the compartment. After I make sure no one saw me, and that they were safe, I walk back inside the mall and to the food court to see my friends. Eventually, I get to the food court and meet my friends. My best friend Jaden is there with Mason, Axel, Hunter, and Blaze. They are all considered bad boys, but I am qualified as the bad boy I suppose. Mason is the jock. Axel is the quiet one. Hunter is the player. Blaze is the only one who stands up to me, and Jaden is my best friend as he claims.

"Hey, Ash!" Jaden greets in his typical joyful fashion.

"Hey J," I reply, sitting down next to him and noticing they all look like shit. "What the hell happened to you guys?"

"There was a party last night," Mason states. That's all I need to know, to know that they got drunk and have terrible hangovers. With a sigh and a chuckle from me, they all send me death glares.

"Why didn't you come?" Blaze asks as if to challenge me, making me smirk.

"Because I got laid," I answer simply, which he laughs at.

"Sure you did," he says. I scowl but don't respond, knowing he would just turn my reasons down. Our conversation lasts a little longer before I decide to leave. While I walk to my bike, I look down at my phone and end up running into someone. Their dog barks as we run into each other, the other person landing on their butt. When I look at the person, I notice it's a girl. She ended up dropping her phone and her dog's leash.

"Ow," she winces slightly, a smirk forming on my lips.

"Watch where you're going," I grumble. This causes her dog to randomly start barking at me. She finally looks up and slightly gasps. She slowly gets up, brushing herself off while allowing me to get a good look at her. I don't recognize her. She has dark brown hair, dark blue eyes, and pale skin. She has to be at least 5'8", since I'm 6', with a slim figure and little to no curves.

"Sorry I'm not sorry," she spits. Apparently, she's confident too if she's standing up to me.

"That doesn't even make sense," I retort with furrowed eyebrows.

"Obviously you're too stupid to understand, now leave me alone," she states. She must be some sorta nerd.

"What are you going to do about it?" I ask rhetorically. The dog suddenly starts barking and growling at me, making me annoyed. Soon enough, I get very annoyed and kick the dog lightly. The dog whimpers, falling to the ground.

"Jet!" she screeches, making me lose my hearing. She bends down to make sure the dog is okay. Suddenly she stands up and glares at me. An amused smirk sits on my face, which seems to make her even angrier. In one swift movement, she punches me in the stomach and kicks me in the shin, causing me to fall to the ground on my knees, out of breath. She smirks, picking up her dog before jogging out of the mall. Once I catch my breath, I slowly stand up. A phone on the ground catches my eye, making me smirk. She must've forgotten it when she was grabbing all her stuff. So I pick up the phone and shove it into my pocket before leaving the mall. While I'm walking to my bike, I hear a car peeling out of the mall and my eyes fall on a Jeep. As I get onto my bike, I wonder if the Jeep belongs to the girl. My mind is trying to process everything that just happened as I drive out of the mall parking lot. Driving home I sigh utterly perplexed by the situation.

My house meets my eyes and I get inside shortly enough. Making a quick trip up the stairs to hide my alcohol, I grab the girl's phone from my pocket and look to see if there is any password. Crazy enough there's no password. Who's crazy enough to not have a password on their phone? While going through her phone, I find out that her name is Emmaline Johnson and she's in my class, a senior just like me. That means I'll be seeing her tomorrow. After more research, it appears that she doesn't have a boyfriend and apparently, she has no friends in general. It's hard to judge who she is or what she has going on in her life. There's only a few numbers saved being her father, possibly other family members, and some other random names. However, there aren't many text conversations. Mostly just between her and her presumably father. Something about her intrigues me, perhaps it's the fact that she's a big mystery, or simply the way she stood up to me. No girl has ever done that. Ever. Hopefully I can figure this one out.