Hot Dogs and Chess?

Start from the beginning

"Do you mind if I use my hands?" I asked not knowing if he was comfortable enough to let me touch them or not.

He then looked at me for a second before hesitantly nodding. I then went back to my seat and started on my work. I poured out a bit of foundation on my left hand before rubbing some on my index and middle fingers.

"This could feel a bit cold." I told him before gently rubbing the foundation along his left scar.

I could see his breathing shift a little as I went along his cheek the first few times. As I touched the hard outline of his scars I couldn't help but remember the first time I touched them. It was after the first time I ever truly saw his face bare. I then showed him the scar on my back to make him feel less awkward after feeling like I should share something too. It was one of the best days I spent with him. We laughed and joked around and it was one of the first time he was actually human around me. It was also one of the first times I ever truly saw through him when he was one of the first people to actually listened to what I had to say.

I felt my eyes water a little at the memory of that day before I found Jack's gaze on me. I then blinked the tears away and cleared my throat as I finished his other cheek. After deeply layering both of his cheeks I then grabbed his face with both of my hands and smoothed the outlines with my thumbs before letting him go.

"There! All finished." I spoke and looked for the pocket mirror in my bag and handed it to him.

"Take a look and tell me what you think." I said as I awaited his reaction.

He then opened the mirror and his eyes widened a little at his reflection.

"Wow..this is really good, Eva." He said before he turned to me.

"You see! Never doubt the power of makeup. Now wait here I'll see if we can get you some actual clothes. Hospital dress isn't exactly in right now." I joked before making my way to the door.

I then turned the knob and bumped into someone. Natalie.

"Oh hey..Natalie..What are you doing here?" I asked as I looked back at Jack then back to her again.

" Well, I wasn't doing anything thought I'd pop in and check up on him." She smiled and waved at Jack from my side, who gave her an awkward wave back.

"Well, I was just looking for someone who could get us some casual clothes for Jack. Can you inform them to find us some and send them up?" I asked her slightly hoping she'd leave.

"Yeah, I could get you guys some. I still have this outfit that belonged to my ex-boyfriend in the locker room , he's about your physique." She said pointing at Jack, visually roaming his body.

"Between you and me, that guy was a freak! Talk about role play fetishes!" She whispered not so quietly to me.

I couldn't help the feeling of disgust that hit me upon comprehending the words she just said. This gal has zero self respect.

"Uh-huh.." I said awkwardly as she giggled and headed to get the outfit.

I turned to Jack who was looking a little awkward, I'm guessing because he heard her last comment. Great that's two people who need ear cleansing..

It then took us about half an hour to get Jack to change and meet up with the guards and leave the asylum. I decided to take one of the asylum's emergency black vans, which always reminded me of a funeral car more than anything, and we took off.

I decided to drive and had Jack sit in the passenger's seat next to me and had the guards sit at the back. After going out to the main road I spent like 5 minutes decided where to take him until I decided on Regency Park. It was a very calm and soothing park which was just about a 15 minute walk from the asylum's doors. Don't get me wrong it was always crowded but no matter how many people and kids gathered in there it was never loud or noisy.

I first found out about this place around my first week at the asylum. I didn't feel that much welcomed and the gloomy surroundings which I wasn't used to back then were suffocating me. I needed a change of scenery and some fresh air one day and went for a walk, and that's how I found the place.

The entire drive there I watched Jack as he divided his attention between looking out the window and watching his reflection in the right wing mirror. This all must be so strange to him. He is such a completely different person now. Confused, vulnerable, and just completely different. In a way I feel like I don't know this side of him and I can't help but feel like I don't know what I'm doing to be exact.

Am I trying to make him remember who he is or who they want him to be? If I'm being honest I'm not quiet sure how to do either. I pull over at the parking lot and we all get out of the van. I look at Jack who is looking around him and I walk over to him.

"Let's go." I say putting a gentle hand on his shoulder, pulling him out of his thoughts.

We walk towards the park and cross the track surrounding it and enter the garden. I look back and the guards are following us but a few steps back, chatting with each other.

"So, what do you think?" I ask Jack sensing his awkwardness.

"It's really quiet." He says.

"I know, quiet relaxing isn't it? " I reply and he nods.

"I haven't seen anything like it. Well, at least not anything I remember." He sighs.

"Come on, there's more life to it up front." I say as we moved towards the center of the park.

We then walked past a couple of little girls chasing each other and two little boys climbing a little tree house that was built near the kids' playing area. We walked further in and I saw Jack watching a hot dog stand at the other side of the park.

"You hungry?" I turned to him.

"Hmh?" He turned his gaze to me then back to the stand.

"Come on, I bet all that nasty ICU food has given you an ulcer." I said and grabbed his hand and pulled him down the small hill towards the hot dog stand. His shoulders raised a little at my sudden move.

"What? What are you doing?!" He asked, obviously not paying attention to a word I've said.

"Come on! It's about time you ate a hot dog." I picked up my pace and pulled him with me down the hill towards the hot dog stand.

I then got us two hot dogs and paid the guy before we continued walking. Mid-way through his hot dog he started laughing. I looked at him and he was staring at me.

"What?" I raised an eyebrow at him before laughing myself.

"You're really weird sometimes. You do know that right?!"He booms.

"What?! You would've never let me do that! I had to take my chance and besides you looked hungry." I said defensively and his laughter increased.

We then sat by at a chess booth and finished our hot dogs. The guards soon followed behind and sat at a bench behind the chess tables.

"Did you ever try to play?" I asked him and he looked up at me and I assumed that was a no.

"Come on, I'll show you." I said as I crossed my legs on the gravel stool and opened the tiny drawer on my side of the table and took out all the white pieces and soon he mimicked my actions. I started arranging mine and he put his in the same arrangement and I started to explain the game.

-------------------------------------------------

Hey guys!

This chapter was kind of a fluffy one.

I thought I'd even things out since things will be getting darker.

Hope you all enjoyed this chapter!

Don't forget to comment your thoughts and vote!

Hope you're all having a great day!

Much love xxx