Chapter 1

"Mae, get you ass in here right now!" My father called drunkenly.
I cringed. I knew I couldn't pretend to be asleep, and if I just ignored it, I'd be beaten. I didn't want to go, though, because I knew just what he wanted
"Coming, father," I called.
I slipped on some thick soled shoes, knowing this would get messy. I cautiously opened the door and walked to the open kitchen. I saw pretty much what I had expected; broken bottles and glasses were scattered all over the floor, and amber colored liquid was spilled everywhere. The air held the disgusting smell of cigarette smoke.
And oddly enough, this was low-key for what he and his friends do.
My dad just shoved a broom and dustpan into my arms and staggered away. I stood there, watching him stumble and fall into his room, then got to work. Every now and then, I'd stoop down to pick up a larger piece of glass, and something would slice my hand.
Oh well. Now my hands would match my arms.
I tossed away the last of the glass and went over to one of our kitchen drawers. I dug around a bit until I found a stained, worn envelope. My dad didn't know that I knew this existed, but I do. I ripped it open and pulled out a well preserved piece of paper. A large wad of cash fell out with it. I unfolded the paper and read what was on it.
Mae,
I'm glad you're reading this.
Well, sort of.
As you know, your mother has left your family. This caused your father to get addicted to drugs and alcohol. I wrote this letter, as well as gave you this money, in case things ever get really bad. This should be enough money for a plane ticket to us, as well as the cab ride. Just ask the driver to take you to the Lucky Cat Cafe. I hope living with me will make things better! Come as soon as you can. We'll be waiting for you.
-Cass Hamada
I stuffed the cash, as well as the letter, into my pocket, and snuck into my room to pack up my things. I lived in Oregon, which wasn't far from Sanfransokyo, where the Hamadas lived. I'd lived there before, up until my mom left my family when I was six. That's when everything had gone downhill, and we'd left. I guess I'm going back now.
I threw my two suitcases out of my closet and rapidly unzipped them. I spilled out all of my clothing and shoes, and stuffed them into my larger of the two suitcases. I then took all the things left that I could put in a suitcase and packed them up. Posters, a pair of sheets, a comforter cover, pillow cases, framed pictures, figurines, hygienic products, books, journals, and any other thing that I could think of got shoved in. Finally, any small means of entertainment I wanted with me got put in a backpack I would keep at my feet. My room looked totally empty, and I glanced at the clock. It read '9:00.' I took one last look around, grabbed my suitcases, and hauled them quietly out of my room. I made my way through the hallway of of our one floored house, set the suitcases down, then went back for my backpack, placed my purse in it, and grabbed a phone. I needed a ride to the airport. I dialed a number and held the phone to my ear. It rang once... twice... and she picked up.
"Hello?"
"A, it's me, Mae. Listen, I know you're probably tired from work, but I need a ride."
There was a short pause, then a high pitched voice.
"I'll be right over."
I sighed and hung up, placing my phone in the back pocket of my denim skirt. I snatched up my suitcases and quietly walked out the front door. I sat, waiting for A to come. She eventually showed up, helped me with my bags, and we drove off.
"Alright, where are we going?"
"The airport."
A didn't question. She just drove me there. I sighed and looked out the window as Paramore played on the radio.
No going back, Mae.