2

*ROC*

I did it again. I had hit her again, made her cry again, I made her say that she hated me again. It was all my fault.

All I'd wanted was for Rain and I to have a baby, when we lost it I started to drink because it took the pain away. My first night of drinking age I just drank, and drank, must've spent over a hundred dollars if I had to guess. One of my friends drove me home and I faintly remember the sound of Rain screaming.

I barely ever remembered the actual abuse taking place. I would remember being at a bar with the guys and then...nothing. The next morning I'd roll over and see Rain with a swollen lip or bruised arm. I knew when I drank it was wrong, but the numb feeling it gave me was too good to give up.

"Rain I'm going out with the guys." I told her.

She sighed heavily and swung her feet over the edge of the bed.

"Don't go." She said like she did every night before I left.

"I need to go." I told her. I expected her to say nothing, because normally that was my exit line, but she surprised me by grabbing my hand and pulling me back into the room.

"You don't NEED to go. You WANT to go. But I NEED you here."

"Noooo, you just WANT me here."

She let go of my hand and looked down at the ground. "And is that not enough to make you stay?"

Not wanting to hear myself admit the truth I kissed her puffy lips softly and walked out in time to hear her sigh one last time. We both knew when I came back I'd be a different person.