Chapter 22

“…right Marciano?” Marciano took another swing of his beer. Everyone was celebrating except him. He’s been trying for two months to get Camilla out of his mind. But no matter what he couldn’t. Every little thing reminded him of her. During Christmas and New Year’s he wondered where she was, who she was with, what she was doing….

Hell he tried to call her over a dozen times in just the first week alone. But getting her number was a whole set of trouble. Her number wasn’t in his phone or her Aunts or Uncle. No one had it. But when Nardo found out her number was erased form his phone he was near tears. Luckily his brother’s stupid obsession came in handy. Nardo remembered every number concerning Camilla. But all that memorization went to waste. All the numbers were disconnected and when he finally got hold of her Uncle he slammed the phone on him telling him never to call again. Marciano even decided to try to write her if he wasn’t allowed to talk to her but all that got him was a pile of returned unopened letters.

He wanted to see her so bad but every time he got behind the wheel he couldn’t. He was afraid. He was afraid she’d reject him. And he got rejection when she was one the phone asking for his brother. Why didn’t she want to talk to him? Why did she want to talk to my brother? Marciano knew something was wrong. He heard it in her voice. If he could just get her in a room for five minutes… Marciano shook his head and reached for another beer but a hand stopped him.

“What do you want?”

“Your attention Marciano.”

“I don’t have time for you Elena go home.” He stood up ready to leave when she cut him off.

“Let’s spend the rest of the day together. Just the two of us.”

“I told you already no.” He walked past her.

“You don’t love me anymore?” He stopped. “Is it someone else?” Before he could answer Elena pressed against him. Marciano was disgusted my by her.

“Enough! I don’t want you anymore.”

“You were finally going to kiss me yesterday before that girl called.”

“Almost kissing you was a mistake to even consider.” Elena grabbed his arm.

“Hey leave my brother alone!” Farfella shoved Elena away from Marciano. She stood in front of him like a hell cat ready to attack if Elena tried anything with him. Suddenly Farfella turned toward the back gate at Nardo’s voice.

“Marciano, look!” Farfella jumped around pointing at where Nardo and Catherina came in.  Marciano’s eyes widened.

“Camilla…”

“Camilla!” Farfella took off in a run. Marciano saw Camilla walk in with a smile on her face. Farfella nearly knocked her to the ground in such a powerful hug. Emesto lifted her up in the air rambling about something. Nardo came and elbowed Emesto until he set Camilla on the floor. Everyone gathered around her. Some arguments were thrown about where Camilla would sit and who was going to talk to her. But Camilla smiled then slowly burst into tears. Marciano ran toward her his untouched beer forgotten.

“Camilla, what’s wrong?” She looked up at him with thick tears running down her face.

“I-I’ve missed everyone.”

“Something else is wrong. What is it?”

“N-nothing. I-I’m sorry, I-I c-can’t stop crying.” He reached out and touched her shoulder and she looked up at him with so much hurt in her heart breaking blue eyes.

“I’m missed you so much Marciano.” He felt his whole chest tighten at her soft words.

“I miei nomi di Elena.” [My names Elena.]