Chapter 12

Constantinus watched as Camilla knelt next to her bed tying her shoes. She didn’t notice him standing in the door way of her room. He watched her for a few more seconds then moved away from the door and into the room. He moved until he was three feet behind her then reached out to touch her shoulder.

Fratello, che cosa stai facendo?” [What are you doing brother?]Constantinus pulled back his hand. Camilla looked up from tying her shoes.

“Oh I’m sorry I didn’t hear you come in.”

“Your Aunts here.”

“Oh thank you Constantinus.” He nodded but didn’t move away. Camilla stood up but he still waited there.

“Is there something I can help you with Constantinus?” Constantinus just looked at her but didn’t say anything.

Ti ha chiesto un fratello domanda, e vi consiglio di procedere con cautela su come si risponde.” [She asked you a question brother; and I suggest you tread carefully on how you answer.]  Constantinus turned toward his brother.

“This mistake is what you two will have to live with. So you better tread carefully brother.” Constantinus stared to walk out of the room but Camilla grabbed his arm.

“If you’re going to stay for dinner you need to have a better attitude. I won’t let you act like this in front of my Aunt and Uncle.”

“Don’t worry about me. You just better watch how you act young girl. Getting too comfortable in something that’s not true is just trouble for yourself and I will not let you hold my brother responsible.” He pulled his arm away and moved out of the room.

“He’s just worried.”

“I swear I wouldn’t do anything to hurt you.”

“I know that but he’s…like your Uncle.”

“I understand than.” Marciano nodded. Then motioned to the door.

“Ready to go down?”

“Yes.” He led her down and to the table. Her Aunt was talking with Constantinus. Constantinus was chuckling and seemed to be charming her Aunt. Her Aunt looked up and smiled at Marciano.

“Why didn't you mention what a charming brother you have Marciano? I can tell how you two are related. You’re a pair of good young men.” 

“You’re so sweet Izanne. Here let me carry that for you, it’s too heavy for such a delicate woman as yourself.”

“You little sweet talker.” Her Aunt laughed then continued in the kitchen. Constantinus carried the stack of dishes into the dinning area. He placed them on the table than raised his brow at Camilla.

“Yes?”

“You…” Camilla shook her head. “Do you need some help setting the table?”

“I have it; you should go in the kitchen with your Aunt.” She nodded but Marciano put a hand on her shoulder.

“If your Aunt wants you she can come get you.”

“If she wants to help then she can, where she’s supposed to.”

“You can’t treat her like that Constantinus.”

“She wants to help and her help would be most needed in the kitchen.”

“Okay stop! Constantinus if you don’t treat me with some respect then I’m going to ask you to leave. I don’t like how you’ve been with me. I know I’m a stranger to you but I’ve been nothing but civil since you’ve been here.” Constantinus didn’t say anything when he looked at her.