Chapter 19

“Wait! Wait!” Camilla dragged her feet as they came close to his family’s house.

“What’s wrong?”

“They know…that we…you know?”

“They could assume we did but the only way they’ll know is if we tell them. Do you want to tell them?”

“NO! I mean no. It’s fine, we’ll keep it between us.” Marciano smiled and pulled her close to his side. He kissed her temple then led her to the door.

“Tonight I want you to wear that blue night gown.”

“That’s not a night gown. It’s a clear piece of lace.”

“It’ll make your eyes even bluer than they are now.” She shook her head but Catherina came skipping out of the house.

“Hey! We didn’t think we’d see you two till tomorrow.”

“She got hungry.” Catherina’s eyes sparkled as she skipped back into the house. Camilla held on tighter to his arm. They walked inside with a greeting from everyone Camilla face was hot red and she could barely lift her head to look at anyone. Nardo stood up with a chair next to him.

“Camilla my fiore! I saved you a seat next to me.”

“Oh thank you Nardo.”

“She’s sitting next to me.” Catherina picked up her plate and sat next to Nardo. Marciano tugged Camilla’s hand until she followed his to the empty seat next. He pulled her chairs so close to his she was practically sitting in his lap. Camilla bit her lip and tried to be as relaxed as Marciano but she didn’t know how he pulled it off. All the knowing faces watched them. Sure Nardo looked like always but it wouldn’t be long before he knew the truth either. Camilla hoped he didn’t get hurt.

Marciano took a plate and looked over the food. He loaded his plate with different foods. He put the more cooked parts on a different plate while searching for the best meat for the other. Camilla watched for a second wondering what he was doing but kept to herself and tried to get a plate herself. Marciano moved her hand away from the plate and kissed it briefly. But he kept his eyes on the food.

“You really must be starving.”

“This is your plate.” She blinked at him.

“Mine?” He nodded.

“Thank you but you need food to. Here hand me back that plate and-.” He shook his head.

“I’m taking care of it.”

“Marciano.” He turned his head and kissed her gently.

“Little things.” The intensity of his eyes compelled her to nod. Once he was down serving her he pulled her closer with an arm across her shoulders. He waited until she took a bit then gave a satisfied nod then made his own plate. Camilla leaned into him as they ate. They were comfortable and unaware of how they looked.

Emesto started telling jokes in Italian to lighten the mood and even Camilla laughed. She didn’t know enough Italian to know word for word he said but she knew enough to get the idea. She tried to keep up in some of the conversations but it was hard. Bruna kept giving her a hard time but she didn’t mind. She let her and just brushed off any comments….Camilla reached up and put a fit to her mouth. She felt really sick and she didn’t know why.

“Camilla?”

“I’m sorry Mauro what did you say?”

“You don’t like the food?”

“I do but theirs this….” She put her hand back up to her nose. Carolina came around and moved a dish in front of Camilla’s nose. Marciano felt Camilla stiffen.