Chapter 14

Camilla chewed slowly savoring the flavor. She didn’t realize her eyes were closed until she opened them slowly and blushed as she saw all eyes were on her. She pulled up her courage and looked at Marciano’s mother.

“This is…amazing! If you don’t mind would you teach me how to make it? I know my Aunt will love it.”

“It’s a family secret Camilla.” Camilla ignored Bruna and kept her gaze steady with Carolena.

“Of course, you are family now.” Camilla smiled gently then continued to eat. Conversation circulated through the room. Everyone was having a good time, even Marciano. He was laughing and joking back with his brothers. Catherina pulled Camilla into the conversation and got her to open up a little.

“Well…no. I don’t have any Italian family. But my Aunt dated an Italian boy before my Uncle.”

“You are close with your Aunt and Uncle?”

“Very.”

“Do you visit them often?”

“I live with them.”

“Aw your family lives all together?” Camilla slightly squirmed.

“I…live with my Uncle and Aunt alone.”

“You don’t live with your parents?” Camilla put her fork down and bit her lip.

“My…um…parents…” Marciano touched her thigh.

“You don’t have to.” Camilla looked back at him but they both knew she had to tell them.

“My parents passed away ten years ago.” The room was silent. Camilla pushed back her hair behind her ear.

“Umm. Excuse me.” Camilla was about to stand up when Alrigo put a hand on her shoulder.

“We are sorry.” She nodded.

“How’d it happen?”

“Car accident.”

“We are sorry for your loss but were grateful that you weren’t in the car when it happened.”

“I-I was.” Camilla looked down at her white hands. “Because of my parents sacrifice I didn’t die.” Camilla’s throat felt like it swelled. She couldn’t swallow and soon it was hard to breath. She surpressed her sorrow and tried to act as if none of it bothered her. But for some reason she couldn’t hide how much pain she felt when talking about that night. She usually could but right now….

                She stood up abruptly. She couldn’t stop shaking as she walked away from the table. She hurried outside before the sob was ripped from her throat. She covered her face with her arm as she walked away from the house with streams of tears running down her face. She couldn’t hold back her emotions, she cried like she never got too before. Arms circled around her waist. She was turned around but she didn’t move her arm away from her face. Marciano lightly touched her arm and she moved it away from her face and he pulled her in his arms. She buried her head in his chest and cried. He held her for a while then started to speak to her in soothing tones. By the time Camilla was done she was exhausted.  Marciano lifted her face up to his but she looked away.

“I probably look like a mess.”

“Yeah,” He pulled out a tissue from his pocket and gently wiped her face. “But I wouldn’t change a thing.” She slightly smiled.

“You’re crazy.”

“No, I just like you trusting me with your tears.” She brushed a tear that slipped from her eyes. He took her hand with the tear on it and kissed it. Camilla felt her heart flip. She couldn’t deny it anymore she loves Marciano and every second she was near him she fell deeper in love with him. She knew it was dangerous to love him but she couldn’t help it. Even if she wasn’t allowed to love him forever she’d love him during the time they have together.