Chapter 21~The Hounds of Baskerville

Start from the beginning

"Get away. Don't touch me." I slurred. A flash of color danced across my eyes. I felt large hands on my shoulders, a deep smooth voice in my ears.

"Jax..." I tried to focus on the blob of black and blue. "It's me, Sherlock. Calm down. You're okay, no one's going to hurt you anymore." I gripped onto the steadiness of his voice like I was drowning, letting in bring me back to reality.

"Sherlock..." I mumbled. The smell was rushing through my nose, into my brain, making me want to vomit. I covered my nose with my hand, choking. Sherlock understood immediately. He pressed his scarf to my nose. I inhaled deeply, breathing in the scent of Sherlock's cologne and the smell of London. It instantly cleared my head, my vision becoming clearer. The first thing my eyes focused on was Sherlock's face, which was inches from mine. His clear pale blue eyes searched mine, looking for signs of response.

"Jax, can you hear me?" He asked. I nodded. Voices other than Sherlock's came into focus. I saw John at my side, his face pinched with concern. When was the last time someone felt concern for me?

"What's wrong with her?" Other voices in the background started to filter through my brain.

"Is she having a panic attack?"

"Does she look familiar to you?"

"Why are they here anyway?"

"I swear I've seen her face before." I closed my eyes and took deep breaths, my heart rate slowly dwindling down to normal. Sherlock's and John's reassuring hands on my shoulders helped me relax. A crowd of doctors and scientists were gathered around us, their eyes filled with the cruel curiosity that was rooted in my memory. Sherlock and John were solely focused on my face. I nodded to them, signaling that I was alright. A tall man with gray hair wearing a plastic body suit walked up to us.

"Who are these people?" He asked. Corporal Lyons turned to him.

"Just here for an inspection, Dr. Frankland." He answered. Dr. Frankland looked at me, his eyes narrowing in concentration.

"Do I know you?" He said. I turned my head in an attempt to hide my face. Another man, this one wearing a camouflage suit with brown hair and a beard, stomped up to us with a bitter expression.

"What's all the commotion." He snapped, looking us over with suspicious eyes.

"Ah, Major Barrymore. It's seems that they have come for an inspection." Dr. Frankland explained.

"An inspection?" Major Barrymore replied incredulously. Sherlock checked his watch.

"Well, I think we've seen enough. Thank you very much." Sherlock said in a rushed voice, gently taking my arm and pulling me towards the door. John followed behind us. Had it been twenty minutes already?

"Hold on!" Major Barrymore's voice barked from behind us. Sherlock walked faster towards the door with me in tow.

"The whole point of Baskerville was to eliminate this kind of bureaucratic nonsense!" He called. Sherlock swiped his card and the doors slid open. We rushed down the hall. By now they'll be contacting Mycroft, asking him if he's attempted to use his ID.

"New policy. Can't remain unmonitored forever, goodness knows what you'd get up to." Sherlock replied. He quickened his walking pace, and I was having difficulty keeping up with him.

"Keep walking." He whispered.

"Sir!" The Corporal called urgently. He pressed a big red button on the wall. Red lights flashed and an obnoxious alarm beeped loudly. The automatic steel door handle turned and locked.