The Way That I Love You

“Come on Shae before we’re late!” I heard my girl best friend Victoria scream from downstairs for about the fifth time.  

“I’m coming, damn!” I retorted, giving myself a once over in the mirror.

It was our first day to our senior year at Mountain Hills High School and I decided to wear a red beanie with my hair down and slightly curled, a dark gray shirt that used to belong to my guy best friend Jace (before I “borrowed it”), some ripped, denim jeans that I rolled once at the end, and some black ankle high boots that I rolled under once. Simple but cute.

I skipped out of my room, down the hall, and down the steps into the kitchen.

“Bout damn time!” she sassed, hoping off of the island.

“I know right, I was getting tired of hearing her mouth.” Jace joked as I laughed with him and Tori shot daggers at him.

“You two are a mess, let’s go!” I laughed, walking towards the door and grabbing my keys and book bag at once.

These two were my best friends, no one could replace them. We’ve known each other since diapers and we have been inseparable since. We knew each other’s life stories and struggles and we went through them together, our problems were each other’s problems.

I lived in my own apartment since after my parents died. My dad died in the streets with hella respect. He got set up by some fuck niggas who was goin’ to the pin for a while unless he ratted my dad out, which he did. Long story short, my daddy wasn’t goin’ out without a fight. Him against a building surrounded by feds, you know the outcome, I was 10, I’m 18 now. Ever since then my brother, Damien, (I call him Poohbear) has taken over and everybody in these streets knew not to fuck with my brother. My mom died of breast cancer when I was 12 so really, Poohbear is all I got. I lived with him for a bit but I couldn’t take the moans, loud talking and laughing, and parties at all hours of the night.  

“Who’s car we takin’?” I asked, while we rode the elevator down to the parking lot.

“Jay’s range!” Tori screamed as Jace and I looked at her sideways.

“Fuck you screamin’ for? We in this small ass space and you screaming like we just ain’t in yo face!” Jay scolded; I turned my head hiding the laugh that sneaked out of my mouth.

The elevator opened up to the parking deck and we all hopped into Jay’s range as he pulled off.

“How you and Kendra doin’ Jay?” Tori asked, sitting up from the back seat and resting both her elbows on our back seats.

We, as in myself and Tori, didn’t like Kendra, she was the school hoe and everybody knew it. She let the whole team hit and before Jay got with her, me and Tori gave him warning after warning; “Can’t turn a hoe into a housewife” I would say, “or a girlfriend for that matter!” Tori would add, but I guess he got with her because she gave it up on a regular. I just knew she was cheating on him but I didn’t really didn’t care cause my best friend is fine as hell; light skin, tats down both arms, his chest, and up his neck, a nose and ear rings,  pretty, white, straight teeth, blonde hair, and he captain of the basketball team,  the hoes flock. But trust, if I caught her ass cheating or Jay ass came to me saying he found out she was cheating, I will not hesitate to beat that bitch’s ass bout my best friend; I don’t care if he is cheating on her too!

“We good, she let me hit the other day too!” he said, his eyes litting up. “Best believe I put it down like always! Had her screamin’ my name! You should’ve heard her ‘ohhhh Jaaaaaay!!’” he screamed, reenacting her moans; the mental vision in my head was now there and I was scarred for life.