19.

Chapter 19

unedited

My first immediate response before I could think of the consequences, the danger we were putting ourselves in—the danger I was putting him in was to wrap my arms around Atlas until I could realize he really was here. I immediately run to him, and it seems he had the same thought. He pulls me in tightly, his hands wrapping around my back. I wrap my arms around his neck until I feel his head buried in my neck.

"You're okay." Atlas finally says.

"I'm okay." I whisper back.

And then, he kisses me. I kiss him back, the feeling easing every wound in my body. His hands are soft against my skin and he makes sure not to press on the wounds on my back or stomach. He kisses me as if I am the air a human needs. I kiss him as if he is everything that I need. I can't stop kissing him, I can't keep away from his addicting taste.

Suddenly, he hugs me again. This time, he seems to forget to be careful because I feel the wounds of the whips throb again. I cry out in pain, and he instantly lets go. "Sorry—sorry!"

I shake my head but a smile is still on my lips. It was at that moment my father's words ring in my head like a chant of death. He will kill my mate if he was a wolf from the Tumultuous pack. But my father will torture him until he is dead if he is Atlas. And my mate, it's Atlas. Imagining him in front of my dad was horrifying enough. Nathan's words come back to me seconds after—either you kill him or the Alpha does.

"I—I need you to leave." The uncertainly in my voice is obvious. I don't want you to leave. I can't let you leave without thanking you for helping, for bringing me to my pack, for saving my life with that flower.

"Already kicking me out, little wolf?" Atlas asks, with a playful smile.

"No—you have to understand—my pack suspects a Tumultuous wolf is my mate."

Realizing that a wolf of my pack might come in any moment, I run to the door my cabin, lock it completely along with all the windows in the cabin. I was glad it was late, and I was glad the wolves in my pack were leaving me alone for once.

"I thought we had this talk, Lyra. They won't catch me here, I promise." Atlas repeats.

Why couldn't he realize he was in danger? Why couldn't he realize that I will not let anything happen to him? I immediately glared at him, hoping that my death glare would get him to leave. But I didn't want to argue mostly because I didn't want him to leave either.

"How'd you get in here again? How do you do that?" I demanded.

"The door." Atlas answers, as if it was obvious. It was clear he wasn't give me a decent answer so I ignored trying to get an answer.

"How long did you wait for me?" I asked instead.