Chapter 60B: A Heart Which Never Moved On

As Arion and Serena arrived at the base where Charles was...they were c confronted by a room of black. Black carpets covered the floor, black wide banners hung down from the high walls with white wings on them, chandeliers with black ribbons hung from the ceiling with black roses in vases on plinths. The only thing not black was a red curtain hung at the far back wall, above a red arm chair.

Serena looked quite unsettling "this room...it's covered in nothing but black. Just black wherever you look"

"It feels...very depressing in here" Arion said "Like you've turned up to a funeral, kind of depressing"

"It does have that 'person in mourning' vibe doesn't it? Come on...let's find sir Charles" they stepped through the black themed hall, their footsteps muffled by the carpet "Mister Charles. Where are you!? Mister Charles"

"I am here...you need not shout"

The two searched the room for the owner of the voice, their eyes scanning the area until they saw a black-covered arm rise above the chair "I am Sir Charles...you need not look any longer" the voice sounded lethargic and almost toneless

"Mister Charles...is that you?" asked Serena

"Is it I...young one. And now you know I'm here, you need not shout. You disturb the silence"

"Mister Charles...we came to talk to you" Arion said "It's about this town"

"Yes...it's wonderful. Isn't it?"

Charles' arm disappeared back behind the cough, but his voice continued on "A town...I built with my own hands, with him, to protect those whose lives are in danger. With each day...life is fleeting, and unknown. You never know what accident is going to await you"

"That may be true but..." Arion tried to say

"So this town keeps the citizens safe...and their live's are ensured"

"By locking them away in prisons and separate from their families?" retorted Arion

"At least their lives are intact. For there is nothing worse...than the fear of death"

"You're wrong...your majesty. There's something worse than that"

"Oh...what's that?"

"Not living the life...you best wanted"

Arion put a hand on his chest "I know, more than most, how life can easily end for you. Having knocked on death's door myself"

"Then...you realise my noble goal, and the mission I set out" replied Charles

"But by locking people up, keeping them behind walls...you're just causing what you're trying to prevent. The people...are robbed of their lives, unable to live it out"

"People need some uneventfulness in their lives your majesty" said Serena "It's not always safe, I know, but nothing is ever truly safe. We can't wrap ourselves in cotton wool...just prepare ourselves for the worst to happen. It's through this way we're allowed to meet people, have fun...and be happy"

"And...what do we do if grieve hits us hmm?" Charles asked "If tragedy hits us so hard, than we simply collapse in sorrow"

"We look to our friends and family" Arion said "And find the strength to walk forward again"

Arion now spoke with conviction "Your majesty, these people at the base leave tonight. You've made them all suffer, and nearly ended the life of two of them"