Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection (PS4)

Developer Naughty Dog was around long before Sony took them undertheir wing, but it wasn't until Crash Bandicoot revolutionised thegaming industry and allowed the PlayStation to not only gain a mascotbut also prove that it was a serious contender in the console marketand a force to be reckoned with.

Hot off the heels of Jak and Daxter on PlayStation 2, the Naughty Dogteam wanted to try something different, something more cinematic. Itwasn't until 2007 that this goal was finally achieved by them, afranchise that would take us on globe-trotting adventures of IndianaJones proportions, a series that gave Lara Croft a run for her moneyand a series that showcased exactly what Sony's PlayStation 3 wascapable of.

The Uncharted series has not only become one of PlayStation's mosticonic franchises, but it has become one of gaming's most belovedtreasures and an IP that has been awarded over 170 awards across thethree games (106 of which belonging to 2009's Uncharted 2: AmongThieves). With the series finale, Uncharted 4: A Thief's Endreleasing early next year Bluepoint Games have worked hard atremastering the previous three adventures for the PlayStation 4; andI can tell you, it's one hell of a collection.

Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection offers up the campaigns toDrake's Fortune, Among Thieves and Drake's Deception; sounfortunately no multiplayer or Golden Abyss, however this doesn'tstop the collection being among the finest remasters available oncurrent gen consoles.

The series tells the story of Nathan Drake, supposed descendant oflegendary explorer Sir Francis Drake, as well as his mentor andpartner in crime Victor Sullivan as they search for lost cities andancient artefacts that could give the wielder unstoppable power.

Of course there's always a race to the treasure whether that be fromRoman & Navarro, Flynn & Lezaravic or Marlowe & Talbot.Then you're more often than not accompanied by your extended crewthat is Elena, Chloe and Cutter.

Whether your searching for the city of El Dorado, looking for theCintimani Stone or hunting down the Atlantis of the Sands; Unchartedwill give you the closest thing to Indiana Jones that video gameshave to offer (witty one liners and obligatory horse sectionsincluded at no extra fee).

Now when I first played the Uncharted games a few years ago I gavefuller, more detailed opinions on each individual game. My conclusionwas that Uncharted 2 (the most beloved in the franchise by gamers)was my least favourite due to a cliché story and outrageous, randomdifficulty spikes. I went on to say that Uncharted 3 was my favouritethanks to a more personal revenge story and stunning set-pieces.

After playing The Nathan Drake Collection I can however say that myopinion has slightly shifted. With Uncharted 1&2 sharing the topspot and Uncharted 3 becoming my least favourite (simply for gameplayreasons), though all of them are so close they might as well allshare the top spot. That's just how good these games are! They maylack the emotional punch of Naughty Dog's latest, The Last of Us, butthey are explosive, edge of your seat thrill rides that entertainfrom the second they start to the moment the credits begin to roll.

The gameplay has remained largely untouched by Bluepoint Games,however many of the mechanics in Drake's Fortune have been tweaked toprovide a more similar experience to the sequels, mostly in terms ofthe shooting mechanics.

For those of you new to the franchise, Uncharted is a 3rdperson action-adventure with a particularly heavy focus on traversingthe environments you are placed in by climbing them and solvingpuzzle to progress. There are also frequent (and in the case of thesequels often large) gunfights punctuating the platforming. Unchartedtruly shines though when both major gameplay styles are in playsimultaneously, such as in the famous train sequence in AmongThieves. Requiring you to traverse the environment whilst alsotackling combat with enemies at both close quarters and long range.

The biggest selling point of any remastering is the audio and visualupgrades and The Nathan Drake Collection delivers spectacularly onthe jump from PlayStation 3 to PlayStation 4. These are some of themost detailed and source respecting remasters I have ever seen. Onesthat deliver such beautiful visual upgrades, but ones you would nevereven know looked any different unless you had played through theoriginal versions recently.

Each game runs at 1080p, 60FPS as standard. Beyond this the characteranimations have been improved to provide much more realisticcharacter movement, particularly in Drake's Fortune and AmongThieves.

Drake's Fortune is the game that benefits the most from the visualupgrade. Gone is the waxy, shiny skin and the pop-in textures, in ischaracter models that match the sequels more closely, a morerealistic skin texture and an increase in foliage and environmentdetail with zero pop-in. Though it doesn't look like a current gengame, it certainly looks more like a game that released late in thePS3 lifespan, rather than at the beginning of it.

Among Thieves and Drake's Deception however could be mistaken forcurrent generation games. Thanks to the increased detail, refinedlighting engines, better animations and of course the bump up to60FPS, the two Uncharted sequels give many games released just thisyear a run for their money and can even stand on a par with The Lastof Us Remastered.

The games still sound amazing too with some excellent voice talentand a stellar orchestral soundtrack that frequently plays alongsidethe gameplay to get your heart pumping and mind racing as you blastaway bad guys or climb on precarious ruins.

Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection is a testament to one of thePlayStation 3's best franchises and a love letter to fans of NaughtyDog. It will also help bridge the gap between the trilogy andUncharted 4: A Thief's End. The absence of Golden Abyss is perhapsthe collections biggest setback, though as a game that had utilisedso many features of the Vita, it would have needed not only a massiveoverhaul in the visuals and sound departments but also a massivereworking in how some of the puzzles would have been solved. The lackof multiplayer, though disappointing is not a huge loss as it's thesingleplayer of Uncharted that earned the series it's legendarystatus and not the rather mundane team based shooter gameplay of it'sonline modes.

If you own a PS4, you should be putting The Nathan Drake Collectioninto your library ASAP and if you are yet to play them, then this isthe best way to do so.

Uncharted:The Nathan Drake Collection – 10/10

+ThreeOf The Best PlayStation Games On One Disc

+HilariousWriting & Enthralling Action

+AReal Sense Of Exploration

+GorgeousVisual Upgrades

-NoGolden Abyss