Chapter 18

The thick undergrowth was a challenge all by itself, causing our breaths to become short and ragged as we hiked to the top of the mountain. The further up we got, the more I had to stop to have a break. Coming out of a coma and then climbing a mountain on the same day was not a good idea.

By the time we had made it to the top of the hill, it was almost nightfall.

The sky was being swallowed by the darkness, all except two moons that shone over us as we gazed upon the valley. Small, orange lights glowed in the distance, forming the outline of a small village.

"This definitely isn't earth." I heard Steve mutter. I nodded in agreement.

"Let's rest here for the night and then make our way to the village in the morning. Hopefully, they will be able to help us." I said looking at him. He looked very out of place against the dark forest, but I was glad he was here. His presence was a comfort. "Do you want to make a fire?"

He nodded and we set to work. Less than half an hour later we were both sitting comfortably beside a small, but warm fire. Looking up to the sky, I wondered where we were, and how we got here. A thought felt like it was trying to make its way out of the back of my mind. To explain something to me, but I pushed it away. 

"So," Began Steve. "You haven't remembered anything yet?"

I shook my head. "Nope. To be honest, I don't even feel like I've forgotten anything." I paused for a moment and looked at Steve. He was listening intently. "And," I continued. "It's even more annoying that people keep telling me I've done all this stuff and I can't even remember." Steve smiled.

"At least you didn't freeze and wake up seventy years later."

"Yeah, thank god. That must have been pretty, well, scary."

He nodded. "I felt like I had only been asleep for a couple of hours, but when I woke up, the whole world suddenly was ripped away and I was on some sort of alien planet."

"I know the feeling." I muttered to myself, but I think Steve heard me. There was silence for a moment.

"If you don't mind me asking but how did you end up on earth?" Steve asked, looking at me with a hint of sympathy. Hesitating, I thought about the question. I looked into Steve's blue eyes, they rang clear with trust and honesty and I decided to tell him my story.

"Well, thirty years ago, my parents took me to earth. I don't know why, but all I know is one day I woke up and they were gone. I didn't know where they had gone or where we had even come from, but I've been stuck there ever since." I admitted quietly. I glance at Steve. He looked like he knew something I didn't, but I pushed the feeling away. After all, I had lost my memory. "So, what's your story?" I asked, intending to shift the attention away from me. I shifted closer to him so he knew I was being serious.

"I think everyone knows my story." He sighed. "I'm the soldier who went from nothing to a national symbol of strength. I lost everything, but I'm still fighting for my country, still fighting for the people who caused me to lose everything." His eyes become downcast and distant as he spoke and I could hear the sadness seeping into his tone.

"So what's your real story?" I asked after a moment of silence. He raised an eyebrow at me, looking slightly confused. "Who are you really?" His brow furrowed in deep thought. Then he turned, causing us to be face to face as we sat, cross-legged in front of the fire.

"I guess, at first" he began, "I wanted to be a war hero like my parents, but I was too weak to do it on my own. I was small and sickly as a child and I never fully grew out of it. So when I was offered to become Captain America, I couldn't say no. I could become a symbol of hope and help the war; it was a dream come true. But I didn't realize how much I would actually lose to become who I wanted." He stopped for a moment and glanced up at me, I was listening intently and waiting for him to continue. "I lost my best friend and the love of my life over a something that will always do more damage than good. So now I guess I'm just stuck doing what I was made for. Taking orders and doing what has to be done." It grew quite as I took in what he had just said; the only noise was the small crackling sound from the fire.

"Would you leave it if you could?" I asked finally. "Leave S.H.I.E.L.D and just disappear?"

"You can't leave S.H.E.I.L.D unless you die, and even then they would probably still keep tabs on your corpse. And besides, fighting is the only thing I know how to do." I couldn't help but look at him with sympathy. "Don't give me that look, I can deal with it. Besides, it's about time I moved on." He said, lightening his voice and sitting up straight.

"Aw, such a big brave boy." I joked lightly. He smiled and just nodded.

"You mentioned you're parents, do you remember much about them?" He asked.

I shook me head. "I know it sounds bad, but after thirty years, a lot of it blurs together. I remember them being in love and we had a big house that was always cold but none of us minded, obviously. I spent a lot of time on my own because they were always traveling and doing business with people, but when they got home, we would have a massive feast and dance until the sun come up." I smiled at the memory. The image of my mother and father hand in hand as they danced to the extravagant music. My fathers white hair, like my own, was completely opposite to my mothers raven black hair that curled down to her hips. "I know they probably weren't the best parents, but we all loved one another and it was all that I needed."

"Are you still trying to find them?" He asked. I nodded.

"I just hope they haven't forgotten about me." I confided quietly. "I know you're probably not supposed to tell me, but what exactly did I do? You know, before I lost my memory?"

He laughed out loud this time. "Basically, you both started and then stopped a war."

"What!" I exclaimed. "How the hell did I manage to do all that?"

"I don't think you can take all the credit." Said a voice from behind the trees. It's owner followed a moment after. Loki.

Steve stood up, his arm tight on his shield. "What are you doing here?" He growled.

Loki put his hands up in surrender. "I'm not going to fight you, I want to make a deal." He replied calmly. His eyes remained locked on Steve. Obviously ready to defend himself if need be.

"What do you want?" I asked, standing beside Steve. My intimidation game was far weaker than his, but I was trying.

"I will help you get back to your god forsaken realm, if you do whatever it takes to convince Thor not to come looking for me." He declared.

"How do you know we won't betray you?" I asked.

He smiled wickedly, like it was a game of chess and he already had our queen. "Because you really need to get home, and you're dear Captain has too much honor to break his word." He made a valid point, and I think we had to admit defeat.

"Okay." I agreed. "But if you betray us, I will kill you." I added, looking him dead in the eye. He nodded like he didn't doubt it. I looked at Steve to see if he agreed but his hand still tightly gripped his S.H.I.E.L.D.

"What's you plan?"asked Steve, with caution in his voice.