Chapter 15

Getting a quick sense of my bearings, I scrambled to me feet. My sword lay shattered on the ground in front of me. Stepping over the pieces, I looked at the enormous cave I had just landed in.

My admiration was short lived as I rushed to get out of the way as another troop of Frost Giants sprinted past me, disappearing into the portal that showed the sky of New York. I could see Tony distracting the flying monsters. It was like a giant movie screen, only more terrifying.

Peeking from my hiding spot, I could see Loki standing near the entrance of the cave, the casket at his feet. Beside him stood an official looking Chituri leader and a Frost Giant. The Casket was sending a glow across the cave floor, all the way up to the portal. I could see them organizing the next lot of troops to be sent through. 

I could feel anger boiling up inside me. Here he was, standing there like he was organizing a get-together, when thousands of people where being killed by his army.

Almost losing control of my anger, I could hear the ice curling and crackling as it began climbing up the sides of the cave. I stayed in my hiding place, but began letting the cool magic flow from my veins. The whole temperature of the cave dropped. I could feel several rocks in the roof dislodging from the ceiling, as the ice grew around them, but it wasn't enough. I started to panic. More troops would be going through the portal any minute. My eyes, searched the cave for something to use, and my eyes landed on the Casket.

That could work. But how the hell am I going to get that?

I slowly slunk across the cave wall, getting closer to the entrance. I watched as the Chituri leader waved the second lot of troops through.

Shit.

I sunk back into the shadows. I looked at the Casket again, it was on the other side of the massive cave. I watched as they positioned another giant beast, ready to send it flying through. Welcoming the distraction, I sprinted across the cave. Sliding into another hiding place, I took a deep breath.

Just go get it. And maybe give Loki a good beating while you're over there.

I smiled at the image of beating Loki, and it seemed to give me about 10 seconds of stupid courage. Sprinting from my spot, I knocked Loki to his feet using a blast of ice. Gathering the casket in my arms, I ran back into the cave and concentrated on dodging the now oncoming rain of shots from the Chituri.

I aimed the Casket towards the beast. I hoped to would just work by will, but I was wrong. I groaned, realizing the sudden flaw in my brilliant plan. I growled and shook the Casket in frustration. As I did, a bolt of magic and ice went flying into the wall of the cave. The side of the cave slowly, began collapsing. There were cries of annoyance from the army, and another roar from the beast.

"Skadi!" I heard Loki yell over the noise. "Don't, you'll kill yourself." I looked him in the eyes.

"I'm sorry." I mouthed as I backed up into the cave.

I aimed the Casket upwards. I felt a surge of power run through me and into the casket, before it exploded towards the roof.

Time seemed to slow down. I watched the top of the cave slowly break away. Dropping the Casket, I closed my eyes. I waited for the oncoming darkness, and I wasn't scared. I was accepted the impending doom. I felt a force hit me from in front and push me backwards as the rocks hit and scraped against my body.

My mind felt distant, I could still hear and feel my body, but it was dream like. I felt cool water wash over my body, and someone pulling out of the deep as strong arms cradled my body.

"No, no, no." I heard a voice cry. "You can't do this. Not to me." I recognized the voice. 

Loki.

"No, no, no. Skadi. No, I need you. I need you." He mumbled through tears. "I'm sorry, I didn't tell you, but I need you. I'm the one who needed you." He paused for a moment and I felt his chest shake with a sob. "When I saw you fight the first time, that's when I knew. You weren't fighting for me or against me, but with me. I didn't realize until now that that's what I needed. And now I need you to come back."

I felt him hold me closer.

"I'm sorry."

The end.
Lol jks. There's more.