Promises

The next three weeks for Camila were agonizing. She slept at the hospital with Lauren, and attended her classes during the day, coming right back the second they ended. Everyone was worried for her, but they understood. Camila needed to reassure herself that Lauren was still there, and no one was cruel enough to take that reassurance from her.

Camila groggily woke in her seat next to Lauren's bed, to see Clara and Mike enter Lauren's room.

"Hey Mila. How is she doing?" asked Mike smiling kindly at her. They too visited daily, and stopped being surprised to see the student either sleeping or studying in the room with their sleeping daughter. In fact, it endeared them more to the girl, that she would guard their daughter so loyaly as she slept.

"She seems fine. She's has more color today than yesterday don't you think?" asked Camila as her loving exhausted eyes raked over her sleeping lover.

Clara too the seat next to Camila smiling lightly. "Yes she does. The bruises are almost gone now, and I see they took the gauze off her face." The mother added smiling.

"Yeah, soon her stitches will heal, I know how much Lo hates bandages." Camila said frowning.

"There are two things we want to talk to you about Camila, if that's okay?" Mike said smiling lightly.

Camila tensed and nervously started to ramble,"Did I do something wrong? Is there something else wrong with Lo?"

Clara and Mike chuckled and shook their heads, seeing obvious relief in Camila's eyes.

"No dear, its nothing bad. It's good actually. But first we have something for you." Clara said smiling as Mike took a piece of paper out of his pocket, and handed it to Camila.

Camila took what looked like a check and here eyes bulged at the amount of zero's on it.

"But whats this for?" asked Camila confused.

"For the design of the new gun we sold. It's been patoned and designed through our company, but your the designer and this is your payment for the idea. We have to buy it from you in order for us to technically be able to manufacture it." Mike said smiling.

"But this is too much! I don't need this much money." Camila exclaimed in shock.

:Sweetheart, you came up with an idea that will save the government millions, and us millions on recalls for their weight. Trust me, Lauren explained your resistance to this kind of thing, and we tried to lower it, but this is a reasonable amount trust us. You deserve this Camila, and we actually took your other idea, of a solar paneled lawn mower, and turned it into solar powered tractors and farm equipment. Farmers will save a large amount on gas during harvest season. This is for both ideas." Clara explained smiling widely.

"Really? You had it built? And it worked?" Camila asked excitedly.

"It sure did. Lauren gave us schematics you drew, during one of your late night ramblings about engineering and thought they were so great she presented them to us months ago." Clara added noticing the pink in Camila's pale cheeks.

"But I would have just given them to you, you don't have to pay me for them." Camila protested firmly.

Mike shook his head and said,"Mila, you earned this. You saved our contract with the military, and honestly this is a tiny fraction of the kind of money we will be making for it. You deserve more than this, but Lauren said you would probably be offended if we tried to push for you to accept more."

Camila slumped and looked sad as she said,"But it feels wrong. Like I didn't want to make money from dating Lauren, and I wouldn't have even gotten the tour and looked at the gun if I wasn't."