Family on fire

Demi eye's slowly opened, and took in her surroundings, panicking. She looked for someone she knew, and saw Ariana asleep in a chair next to her bed. Relaxing, Demi took in her features, and saw the noticeable tears that had been shed for. She was angry with herself for not noticing Ariana's feelings for her. It must have been painful to watch Demi fall apart for someone like Selena, and not be able to say it. She had always assumed Ari had hidden her feelings so well, but now that she sifted through the past in her mind, memories ran through her mind, and she knew she had just been oblivious.

Despite not being able to move, due to the pain she felt just from shifting, Demi realized Ariana's fingers were wrapped securely around her own. Gently caressing Ariana's fingers, Demi watched as Ariana slowly woke up.

Ariana's tired eyes automatically searched for Demi in panic, and seeing Demi's brown eyes looking into her own, she felt tears well her eyes, and relief of finally seeing Demi okay spread through, causing sobs in her throat.

"Your awake. Your okay?" Ariana cried tears of joy.

"Calm down Grande. I'm okay." Demi reassured smiling painfully.

"I should get a doctor!" Ariana cried jumping up from her seat.

"Ari wait!" Demi exclaimed holding onto Ariana's hand.

Ariana stopped, and waited to see if Demi needed her to tell the doctor anything.

"Come here." Demi said smiling softly.

Ariana slowly walked to Demi's bed, and slowly sat on the edge, making sure not to invade Demi's space.

"Are okay do you need something?" Ariana asked urgently.

"I need to hold you if that's okay." Demi whispered smiling at her.

Ariana's heart fluttered, and she carefully laid next to Demi, trying not to aggravate her injuries. She laid her head on Demi's unhurt shoulder, and stared into her eyes, not even caring that she was wetting Demi's hospital gown with the tears that ran freely down her face.

"I was so scared you would die. You were bleeding when they brought you in, and I couldn't handle it if you died Demi." Ariana croaked quietly.

Demi kissed her forehead, and Ariana closed her eyes, savoring the affection she had always wanted from her oldest friend.

Laying her head against Ariana's, Demi whispered,"I was thinking. After I get out of here, it would be nice to go on a real date. I mean without Lo and Mila. Just me and you like couples do, ya know? I think we've played this cat and mouse game long enough."

Ariana gripped Demi's hands, as she felt her body buzz with love and excitement. This was more than she ever imagined happening with Demi.

"We're like a couple?" Ariana whispered slowly, trying not to be pathetic with how happy she was.

Demi smiled amused and said,"If you want to be. I mean I know we haven't gone on dates before, but... I like you Ari. I must have liked you for a while, because me and you have always had a different relationship than me and Lo, and I'm sorry I didn't see your feeling when you were giving me all the signs. Dating friends can be scary, because me and you go back so long, and I don't want to lose you if it doesn't work out. But I want to give this a chance, if you'll let me."

Ariana smiled tearfully, and said,"Whatever happens we'll figure it out. All I ever wanted was a chance Dems. If your willing to try, then so am I. Even if you didn't want this with me, I want you to know, that you being okay... It would have been enough for me. I want you to be happy Dems. It's all I ever wanted."