#PASSION

So, I see a lot of debates about "Which is better, 3D or 2D Zelda?" and "Is A Link to the Past better than Ocarina of Time?" Let's end that debate with a little monologue, shall we?

We should probably start with my exact opinion, right?

Really, if ANY of you really know me, you should know what my answer is. It will always be Ocarina of Time, along with all other 3D Zelda games. Why? Well, first, and foremost, Ocarina of Time was the first Zelda game I ever played and finished, the game that got me into the Zelda franchise, the game that actually got me into calling myself a full-on gamer, AND was my first video game that I have EVER finished, not including those little educational kiddie games. Sure, it took me over a year, and yeah, I used walkthroughs occasionally, but cut me some slack, I've never played a game with this many puzzles before. Honestly, I really was only able to live through the temples because of the deep story that came along with the game. I also find some of the side quests fun. And don't start lecturing me, I have been getting better at figuring out the game myself. I mainly just look it up because I never get a single hint from my brother, who claims to be the Zelda genius, even though it is quite obvious that Laney is better at 3D Zelda that he is.

But seriously, Wyatt is the oddball. He's the only one who prefers 2D Zelda to 3D Zelda. Then again, Laney is also the oddball because her first Zelda game was one of the newer games; A Link Between Worlds for the 3DS. Maybe that means...I'm the oddball, because they're oddballs and I'm not. But maybe that does make me an oddball...but I'm also the only one who played a 3D Zelda as my first Zelda game, and the only one who prefers to play the N64 games on the N64 (or Wii virtual download) instead of the remakes on the 3DS. So maybe...since all of us are oddballs...none of us are oddballs...

I ask paradoxical questions in my mind, but you know what I mean.

Anyway, in order to properly judge this argument as well as support it, I need to look at the other side.

Seriously, don't take it the wrong way. I love Minish Cap. I am so close to finishing A Link Between Worlds. I even like Link's Adventure, if, of course, you actually count that as 2-D, because nowadays it's just side-scrolling. And if I told you guys that I hated Triforce Heroes, (I really don't, I'm not kidding it is a fabulous game, 10favs) I would probably be dead by now. I don't even know if these are 2-D either, but I also really loved the DS Zelda series.

Why do I prefer 3-D? One argument is that 3-D Zelda games take away the adventure because it apparently sets you on one path. This is a common argument amongst Zelda fans because the motivation to create the first Legend of Zelda game was based on the adventure that the creator (grr I forgot his naaaame!!!!) often experienced growing up as child while he walked through the woods near his home. We'll come back to this later.

Disclaimer: I really do love this game, but I'm just using it as an example because I am seriously aggravated by how difficult is is to beat the first boss. Wow Nintendo. Wow.

Anyway, I hope none of you love Link's Awakening (DX) because I'm about to complain. BTW, if you do the same thing I am doing with Skyward Sword, expect no mercy.

Link's Awakening was actually one of the first 2-D Zelda games I've ever played, but I can't tell anymore because I picked up A Link Between Worlds either shortly before or shortly after. Anyway, I finished the first dungeon, which wasn't too hard, but I hated the boss. I've been trying to beat this stupid boss for months, maybe even a year now, and he still won't die because I keep falling off the edge. I'm happy I don't swear, because if I did Wattpad would probably have to take this hashtag down.

On the other hand, with 3-D Zelda, it is so such easier to move around while fighting because you can see the dimensions move around, and for some reason it is so much easier not to fall off the edge (hint, hint).

My older brother argues that the puzzles are easier to find out on 2-D Zelda, but honestly, they're both still annoying either way.

Going back to the "lack of adventure" argument, I highly disagree. I mean seriously, the one thing everyone remembers about Ocarina of Time is riding around atop your horse, Epona. And there are plenty of side-quests in the game. I don't care about the order of the temples. I do agree that in Majora's Mask they actually tell you to go to this temple first, and most of the time you actually need to complete the previous temple to even access the next, but even so. In Ocarina of Time you don't even have to beat Volvagia (ugh my childhood is ruined I now get this joke!!!!!!) to finish the game! And it really doesn't matter in which order you finish the last two temples, though I personally prefer to finish the Shadow Temple first because I find the puzzles ridiculously easy and repetitive. Except Bongo Bongo. Tip: don't wear the hover boots when you're fighting this guy. Makes your life harder.

On top of the extra side-quests, there is actually a lot more land to explore in Hyrule. Most of the lands in Link's Awakening and Minish Cap have a purpose, but in 3-D Zelda there are actually some just there for scenery or target practice (namely, bomb arrows).

I'm just going to skip all my other arguments because I'm so hungry right now and have nothing else to do but type all day...can I go home now?

I have a way to end this argument. Hopefully.

Ask yourself these questions (lol so many c's):

Cats or Dogs? (cats)

Cake or Pie? (cake)

Coke or Pepsi? (wha you takin' about)

Really, it depends on your opinion. Which one has touched you the most.

Okay, guys, that it for this monologue! I'll see you next time!

...

(sigh) Fine, I'll finish it. Jeez.

Whether you're touched by the sense of adventure, the deep story, or the smooth music, the purpose of The Legend of Zelda franchise is to reach out to everyone, whether it's with its great storyline, unique characters, intriguing puzzles, or intense bosses, The Legend of Zelda has it all. The way it pushes you to your limits, even if you use walkthroughs because you can't beat that puzzles in the time limit, videos can only do so much. Even if you looked up how to beat the boss, you still had to go through that sense of thrill fighting. Even if you followed a map during that last Silent Realm, you still had to go through that infuriating moment where you get caught in the light and wake up the Guardians. (Hey, Nintendo! That heart-pounding music doesn't help! Like, at all!) 

The best part about these games is not only the great storyline and heart-wrenching cut-scenes are those little moments in the game where you hear that ending music after you beat that first boss, the ending credits after the game and final cut-scene, the time where you pull the Master Sword from the Pedestal of Time, it all has meaning because you did it! You succeeded in saving Hyrule. You succeeded in defeating Ganon. You succeeded in finally getting your horse back. Sure, it may have taken you a long time if you're new to the games, but even so, all that intense fights, infuriating moments where you die right before reaching that last tear, or times you die for the millionth time fighting Ganon - you did it.

You finally did it.

"What makes you a gamer isn't the systems you use, it isn't the genres you play, or even how good you are. What makes you a gamer is that you realize that it's never 'just a game.' Because whether it's to save one special person, or an entire world, if it's to be the greatest in a match, or the greatest of them all, we pour our hearts and souls into what we do. We get back up no matter how many times we're knocked down, and we keep going until we reach our goal. And that passion is what makes us who we are."