#MISUNDERSTOOD

SPOLIER ALERT!!!!! READ THE ATLANTIS COMPLEX

Tip #6: If a book, game, movie or other media makes you upset, then BAM!! Perfect monologue!!

You may be getting tired of these kinds of monologues, but I like to ramble, so...

Anyway, I finished the seventh book of Artemis Fowl! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! It was HILARIOUS. Orion was so dumb!!

But still...I started it late last night and got through about half of it...and laying in bed trying to fall asleep...I realized how sad the book actually was. Especially the line where Holly was fighting the urge to ask her friend what was wrong. I mean, he kidnapped her and took her gold, and she forgave him for it. He still was involved in illegal activity, and she doesn't care anymore. Most recently, he lied to her and made her believe that she was the one who gave his mother a sickness, and she theorized that she probably made others sick as well. Did that seriously mean nothing to her?

It did. But she is probably the only one besides Butler who is not to blame for this topic.

Remember at the end of the first book about how the file said that Artemis didn't give up half the ransom for his mother? And remember in the Arctic Incident how they accused him of the problems with the trolls? And now, seven books into the series, SIX YEARS since the first incident, they think he caught the disease from meddling with fairy magic. 

THEY ARE SO BLIND!!!!

See, the thing is, trolls, goblins, and dwarfs steal because it's in their nature. It's just how they were created. But humans? Uh-uh. Humans always, always, ALWAYS have a modiv. With the antagonist in this story, he just wanted to cure his wife. The Evil Queen in TLOS just wanted to free the one person she loved. Megamind did everything wrong, so he decided it was the only he could do.

But what about Artemis? Usually they say, "Because he's Artemis." And they do have evidence. His father taught him to be illegal. He taught him that gold was power. But evidence of motivation crushes this theory.

We all know that Artemis' father, Artemis Fowl Senior, went missing when Artemis was ten. Artemis did everything in his power to search for him. He killed a lemur. He bargained with fairies. He sent men on expeditions to the Arctic. And to start off the series, we find out that twelve-year-old Arty is on a quest to capture a fairy for ransom money. But why?

It is revealed in the sixth book that he took the responsibility of the family's fortune into his own hands. He did this, not for himself, but for his father. His father taught him about the fortune, and he did it in his father's place.

I was also thinking about the transition between the books. There are three main groups for characters; the protagonists, the antagonists, and those in between. Think of this as a house. Artemis started off in between the protagonists and the antagonists. His father taught him illegally, but they weren't really like antagonists. Now, once his father went missing, he was alone in the room. So, when his mother, who would be the other roommate, buys a lemur with the money that Artemis would have spent on an expedition, he moves to the antagonists. In the sixth book it is revealed that he helped save his 14-year-old self, so he has a temporary stay in the protagonists, then wakes up from the mind wipe as an antagonist again. 

So he goes through the first book, and then he is called outside the room to have another temporary stay in the protagonists. This happens for the course of five books, developing friendships with the members of the protagonists, but not yet giving up illegal activity. His father, who moves back in between, invites Artemis to join him at the beginning of the third book, but he refuses. By the sixth book, he lies to one of his friends. This is the last guilt attack that he has, and he carries it throughout the book. By this point, it is like he is still in his room, looking through the window to the protagonists, in which he has shut himself out. 

What are the other guilt attacks he has had? The lemur, kidnapping a friend, being mean to Butler, almost killing Holly, and so much more. 

So, do you see where I'm going with this? I was confident there was something wrong with Artemis the first time he started doing math. Usually he explains theories that I can barely understand, but he was counting and multiplying, a skill I learned in kindergarten. Doesn't that seem the least bit suspicious to you? 

The Atlantis Complex is a disease that is diagnosed in criminals who are RIDDEN WITH GUILT. Doesn't the LEP know anything??!! ARTEMIS IS GUILTY!!!!!!

He says in The Artemis Fowl Files that he doesn't trust anyone, but he does! Holly, Root, Butler, No1, even Mulch! Can't anyone see that? Can't anyone hear or see what is right in front of their face??!!

In the seventh book, he FINALLY  joins the protagonists. But he used to be a criminal. Wouldn't you feel guilty if you'd done so many bad things to someone you care about, and now you're on their side, still knowing what you've done to them? He was literally forced into the protagonists when he bargained with them in the second book. Seeing that he could have ruined Holly's career by stealing her magic to heal his face. "One of the arguments is that even though he fell a long way, they experimented and showed that the deku flowers will always cushion a fall. But IRL, when you fall, your body can't handle that rapid change in speed when you hit the ground." (quote from #GAMERS) Just like falling, he was thrust into the protagonists by guilt. And he couldn't handle that rapid change.

Now, this monologue wasn't just for Artemis Fowl. It's also something that I can relate to. Regret is the heaviest burden I am carrying right now, and it doesn't help that no one will let me forget what I've done.

But the thing is, everyone can change. I have a classmate that, when I first met her, I thought she was smart, kind, and a good friend. But, I said something that I thought was funny, and I have always regretted it. She even shared it in front of the class. I burst into tears. I don't know what she thought, but even though I am sorry about it, and I have apologized, my other friend tells me that she still hasn't truly forgiven me. I even made my african folktale for history to be about forgiveness, and I still don't know what she thinks.

And that's exactly why I wrote this monologue. Because whenever something bad happens and you're the one to blame, it's always because "you're being mean." But it's much more than that! Can't anyone see that?

So please, stop judging people for something they did. Everyone does things for a reason, and you have no idea what they're going through. So, just stop.

And let regret release its seize on the world.