Chapter 25

Syaoran guided Sakura out of the lift with a hand on her back. Sakura could feel the tenseness in his posture and immediately knew that the unexpected meeting with his mother was bad news. His intense frown confirmed her suspicions.

Sakura bowed respectfully to his mother and shivered slightly from the cold glare she received. Sakura gulped and shrank back to Syaoran, who curled his hand around her waist protectively, infusing strength into her.

"I see that our little girl here has more courtesy than the company's CEO," his mother said as she turned her sharp gaze to her son.

The hand on her waist squeezed tighter. It was as if he was the one that was drawing comfort from her nearness. "What brings you here, mother?"

His mother's gaze flickered between the both of them and to the warm large hand on her waist. "I've heard that my son has a sudden interest in another career. I had to see it for myself what is it that captured my son's attention to spur him to make the daring switch."

Cold sweat poured from Sakura's forehead. The accusation was obvious. "It has got nothing to do with her," Syaoran said. He tried to walk past his mother but she stepped towatds him, effectively blocking his path.

"I will find out why," she said. "I always get what I want."

"We'll see about that," Syaoran said and pushed past his mother, hauling Sakura protectively beside him.

Sakura spared one last glance at his mother and was surprised to catch the forlorn expression on her face. "You're on bad terms with your mother?" Sakura whispered her question, testing his reaction to it and was relieved that his temper didn't flare up.

"You could say that."

"I know it's not my place to say this but I think you should try to reconcile with your mother."

"What?" Syaoran exclaimed indignantly. "You want me to play nice with your mother? That woman is impossible!"

"But she's still your mother," Sakura said softly as she thought about her own mother and their happy time together. "Nothing is more important than your own family.”

Her vision turned blurry out of a sudden and that was when she realized she was crying. Her grief poured out in a torrential of tears that she couldn't control. "Shit! I didn't mean to make you cry like this!" Syaoran panicked. He was thankful that there wasn't anyone around to witness them.

Sakura giggled despite her tears. "You didn't make me cry. I was just thinking about my family."

Syaoran nodded in understanding. "I don't think I've said this before... I'm sorry for your loss and you won't be alone from now on."

"Thank you." Sakura gave him a teary smile, touched by Syaoran's words. "I'm glad to have met you."

"Me too."

Syaoran pulled Sakura to the porch to wait for someone to drive his car over as he instructed earlier.

"Won't you be in trouble for skipping out on work? If so, I can go back on my own. It's not as if Yukito's house is very far away."

Syaoran clenched his teeth at the mention of Yukito's name. Clearly, this was a subject that he was sensitive about.

"I'm bringing you back to my house."

"Your house?" Sakura's eyes widened in shock. "You want to put your cousin and me under the same roof?"

Syaoran didn't reply until he his car arrived. He opened the passenger door for her and let her settle on the passenger seat. He then braced his forearm on the roof of his car and leaned down to speak to her. "I can handle her. How can I leave you with another guy?"