Chapter 3

Sakura’s grip on the metal gates tightened and it was amazing that it had not splintered into dust. She glared at the retreating form of Tanaka and willed herself not to cry in front of Syaoran. It was humiliating for somebody else to witness her tears. For now, she would trap them within her and unleashed the dam when she was alone.

“Is he always like this?” Syaoran asked quietly. “He sounds like an ass.”

Sakura snorted and forced herself to move away from the gate before she broke into the house. “I assure you that he is. His son is even worse than him. Thank goodness for that angelic wife of his otherwise I don’t think I can manage to survive under one roof with a bunch of sick retards. Somehow, I’m relieved to be out of that house even if it meant I have to sleep on the streets.” She sighed upon remembering that she had no place to call her home. It was time to look for a new job and to do that; she would have to look for her classmate in school for some job opening.

“Better not let me see him,” Syaoran said. “Or I’ll rip all his teeth out.”

Sakura’s eyes widened at him for a second before she burst out laughing. If he was trying to cheer her up, it was working really well. Who would have guessed her idiot of a homeroom teacher would be this sweet. If only she could find some guy as good as him to be her boyfriend. Sakura paused on that thought and frowned. Why was she thinking about that? She must be getting tired.

“There’s no need for violence.” She had to resist the urge to giggle when she imagined the scene that Syaoran had just laid out. “That guy didn’t do much. He stayed out of my way most of the time after that incident.”

“That incident?”

Sakura scratched her head sheepishly. “Well, I must have used to much force to kick him when he tried to take advantage of me when his parents were not at home.”

Syaoran paled immediately, his eyes growing wide. “Please tell me you aimed between his legs. That’s the worst pain ever for guys.” She nodded her head slowly and her cheeks turning even redder. Syaoran let out a loud cheer and pulled Sakura into his arms for a quick hug. “I’m so glad you did it!”

“Li-sensei!” Sakura gasped in protest as she pushed away from Syaoran. She certainly did not expect her teacher to hug her. Weren’t students and teachers supposed to keep a respectful distance? Realizing that she had just created an awkward situation, she tried to resolve it by mentioning how tired she was which was the truth since she had worked from early morning without taking a break.

“You know… That’s actually your fault for running out of the house like nobody’s business,” Syaoran admonished softly. “And you shouldn’t work yourself too hard. You deserve to have a rest.”

Sakura’s ears perked out at the last sentence. “So does it mean that I can skip school for a few more days?”

“And work yourself to death for the next few days?” Syaoran asked. “Don’t even think about it.”

“Li-sensei!” Sakura whined and changed her tactics. She pouted at Syaoran and blinked up innocently at him. “Didn’t you say that I deserve a break?”

“You know exactly what I meant. Shall I rephrase my sentence for you? You deserve a break from work.” He smirked at her disappointed expression, making Sakura feel like kicking him and derive satisfaction from watching him writhe in pain.

“Whatever you say,” Sakura waved him off and started walking towards his house. She had no intention of following his orders, whatever they may be. The only thing she knew was that she needed money fast to reclaim what was hers. “Which is the way to your house again? I wasn’t paying much attention earlier when you brought me over.”