Epilogue

Twenty years later...

~~still Lilac POV~~
          Today was the day. I was going. I really would. I didn't care how dangerous. I didn't care about anything except being there, just showing up one last time. I needed their faces, their smiles.
          They would be older now. 32 years old, in fact. I had made preparations and found out that Dipper and Mabel were taking a trip back to Gravity falls. I'd stayed away from them as long as I could when Bill still stuck around. But a decade and a day later he dissapered. I had to make sure he was really gone though, before I could return. It has been so long.
        I clung to the pine that swayed glorious above the entire town. I was on the cliff, the one that surrounds Gravity falls except that one opening for the bus and river. I looked down at the buildings, the forest, the little movements that depicted life. Would Dipper remember me? Do they have a family of their own now? I wonder what they looked like now, all grown up.
        I stared at the town and inhaled deeply. I was going to do it. I didn't care if Bill, after ten years of being gone, suddenly came back. I needed to let those kids know that I still thought about them.
        Leaping down I made a double check in my apperance. I made sure that my hair was long and white, tied up nicely with a tattered and stringy red ribbon. I checked that my pants looked like pants and that my shirt was black and soft. I made sure to blink and breathe like a normal human before I climbed out of the tree and made my way down the cliff.
        Stanford was long gone, but I had done some research and an older Soos ran the Shack now. That was where Dipper and Mabel were. I approached the door carefully, making sure to not distract Soos from entertaining a group of tourists. I could talk to him later, but I wanted to see Mabel and Dipper first. I was facing the back door, with a porch. I took a deep breath. What if, after all this time, they didn't remember me?
       Knock
       Knock
       Knock
I almost ran away, fearful of what might happen next. I set my jaw, planted my feet firmly on the ground. I was going to do this. Even if they forgot me. Even if Bill came back. I needed this. I needed to see them again.
       I heard footsteps coming down the stairs from inside. I heard voices, specifically a male voice. Dipper?  The footsteps approached the door I was standing in front of and I looked down at my feet. Keep breathing Lilac. Keep breathing.
        "Hello?" The door swung open, revealing a tall man with a little stubble on the chin and swirly brown locks. A pine tree hat, old and worn, slumped on his head. He was wearing a red shirt and brown pants with blue shoes. He looked at me and I noticed how matured he looked. His jaw was firm and his arms were no longer noddles, but we're laced with a bit of muscle.
        "Hey." I whispered. His eyes grew wide.
        "It...it can't be..." he said, stunned. "Lilac? Lilac Whites? THE Lilac?"
        "The one and only." I said, a smile spreading on my face.
        Dipper stepped out and wrapped me up in a hug. I hugged him back too, joy spreading though me like fire.
         "We missed you" Dipper whispered, and I heard his voice crack from a sob. I felt tears on my shoulders and I knew that he was crying. I hugged him tighter.
          "I wish I didn't have to leave, but Bill was going to hurt you." I explained.
         "Why did you stay away for so long?" Dipper asked, pulling out of the hug and looking me square in the eyes.
          "I wanted to make sure he had gone for good." I said. "I'm sorry it took so long."
           "Oh Lilac..." Dipper said, another tear falling down his cheek. "You could have come back any time you wanted."
           "I just can't believe you remembered me." I said, chuckling a little. "After twenty years..."
           "I would never forget you. Someone as amazing, talented and unique like you? I couldn't live with myself if I forgot you."
           "Well, I'm back for now." I said, grinning. Dipper laughed.
           "Let's go find my sister." He said, elbowing me. I followed him into the shack, and nothing could wipe the grin off my face.
My friends...
I wasn't back forever...
But it would be just enough.

           The End