Courtship

By Joona Irene

~~Dipper POV~~

        I woke up that morning really, really disappointed. I thought for sure that night, Bill would come in a dream and fulfill his part of our deal. But he didn't, I slept really well, and I was disappointed.
        "Stupid demon." I spat, angrily tying my shoes. I heard something bump upstairs, and I assumed it was Mabel's friends leaving. Including Lilac.
        Maybe Bill needed more time to find a way to tell me what he promised without coming in contact with me. He did sort of make an impossible deal, giving me the secrets of the universe while leaving me alone. He might need more time to figure it out, although he could be stalling.
        "As long as it happens, I don't care." I sighed, trying to convince myself. "Just as long as he tells me."
        With that, I left Soo's break room to find Mabel making Mabel juice in the kitchen, and-
        "Lilac!" I said, surprised. Mabel winked at me and I instantly knew what she was doing.
        "Mabel, can I talk to you?" I asked through a smile.
        "Sure bro-bro! Give me a sec." She poured some Mabel juice into Lilac's glass, setting the pitcher on the table. Grunckle Stan walked in, saw the Mabel juice, and walked back out without a word.
        I pulled Mabel aside in the living room and gave her my best angry face.
        "Mabel! What are you doing?"
        "It's for love, Dipper! True love!"
        "For the last time," I said, pinching the bridge of my nose. "I do not love Lilac!"
        "See, you say that, but why don't I believe you?" Mabel threw up her hands with a shrug. "Nobody knows!"
        "Mabel..."
        "Dipper, this is your chance! I can only do so much as the worlds greatest match maker!"
        "I thought we agreed a long time ago that you wouldn't do this to me." I said, folding my arms.
        "But Dipper..." she whined. "You won't even give her a shot! She's lonely, she's pretty, and kind beyond belief! She also has amazing powers! Did I mention the powers? Because she has them. Powers." She poked me.
        "Mabel-"
        "And let's not forget that she trusts us, Dipper."
        "Yes, she trusts us! So what if it doesn't work out, huh? What if I do date her, and then I really don't like her, and then I, being a dork, and a stupid jerk, accidently break her heart? What will happen then, Mabel? She's a monster! she's destroyed hundreds of people, murder! We. Are. Talking. Murder. Probably of me, since I will more than likely be the one to...well..."
        "Dump her?" Mabel shook her head. "Dipper, you have forgotten that Lilac isn't a monster. Sure she used to be like that, but she isn't anymore!"
        "Yeah, but-"
        "But nothing. You two are great and I can see that! So does Candy, so does Grenda, so why can't you? Please? Just give her one chance, and you might like it!"
I sighed. I remembered when Lilac had Mabel and I climb her tree, looking for her special item. I remembered when she'd taken me aside and told me that she was alone in the world, as a secret. I remembered when she went missing, and we were so frantic to find her, so desperate to protect her from Bill. I remembered how sorry I had been when I'd stolen from her, how her angry, heart broken face made me want to wrap her in a hug and never let go. Even Grunckle Stan mentioned that Lilac and I could be more than friends.
        "Well...okay maybe...just...one date." I said slowly. "But just one!"
        "Yes!" Mabel cheered. She pushed me into the kitchen. "Go get 'em!"
        "Mabel, I-" Suddenly Lilac was in front of me. Looking at me in that polite, expectant way. How does she always know when I want to say something? I cleared my throat and sat next to her.
        "Good morning Lilac." I said as casually as I could. She smiled a little.
        "Yes, good morning to you too." She chuckled. I could feel the sweat building up.
        "I see you chose to live." I said, pointing at the glass full of Mabel juice.
        "Yeah, life is good."
        "So..."
        "Hey, where's Mabel?" She asked.
        "Who knows?" I said, shrugging, sending a quick glare at Mabel, who was peering from behind the doorway.
There wasn't much room for silence when Mabel was staring directly at me, mouthing words.
        "Well, thanks for the...juice." Lilac stood, pouring the glass back into the pitcher. "But I think I'll go home now."
        "Wait! Uh...I mean, okay." I coughed. Mabel gave me a look and I gave her a look back. "Er, Lilac, on second thought-"
        "Dipper, it's okay." Lilac said with a little smile. "I know Mabel put you up to this. You don't have to ask me if you don't want to."
        "R-really? She told you?" I asked. Mabel raced away, laughing.
        "Yeah." She said.
        "Well, actally I was wondering if you would like to go...and do...a thing. Together. Like a da...y together." Yes, totally pulled it off.
         Lilac looked at me for a moment before I started panicking. How much did Mabel tell her about the kiss? Why was she taking so long to answer? Why was I getting so worried about this? I didn't like Lilac...I wasn't in love!
        "I'll see you later then." Lilac said. She started heading for the door.
       "Uh, wait was that a yes?" I called after her. But the door closed, and I don't think she heard me.
        "That was lame, but at least you did it." Mabel said behind me. I looked and saw her folding her arms with a smirk planted firmly on her face.
        "So it was a yes then?" I asked. She shook her head.
        "Yes Dipper! Geeze, it's no wonder you haven't ever had a girlfriend before." She nudged me with an elbow. "So what are ya gonna do? Hmm?"
        "I'll think about it." I said, a little annoyed.
       "Alright Dipper, whatever you say!" Mabel said, giving me a wink. She went upstairs, probably to clean up the mess, and left me to myself. I sighed and sat down in the chair.
What was I going to do?