*Insert Mission Impossible music here*

By Joona Irene

~~ Lilac POV ~~

     So Bipper wanted me to get him Dipper's book. No problem. I was already planning on how best to do it when we arrived at the shack.
     "Oh, and, Lilac," Bipper added, "don't let them know you're there, alright? Let it be a secret mission"
      "Fine, I can do that too." I shrugged. I could see Dipper's aura through a window. I smiled and, leaving Bipper behind, approached the wall below the window. Bipper hung back, probably because he didn't know how to help.
     I started climbing the wall. I gripped the wood easily and scaled it within a matter of seconds. I approached the window to see Dipper speaking to Mabel through his little sock puppet. Neither of them were looking my way. This would be tricky. Carefully I reverted to my true black form and flattened my entire body to the thinness of paper. Then I slid a hand in, and, being careful to camouflage my color, I pulled myself into the room and hid among the shadows in the ceiling.
       "It was all a trick!" Dipper was saying. "And it was all my fault too. I knew he was after her and I didn't warn her about him."
      "Don't blame yourself," Mabel said soothingly. "Lilac is our friend, no matter what he says." She sighed. "I just hope it's hiding spot is good enough."
      "It better be." Dipper said, folding his sock puppet arms. "It's the most secure spot I could think of in the past five minutes."
       "Do you really think she'd try to take it?" Mabel asked. "Doesn't she know what the journal is? Didn't you tell her about it?"
       "I wish I had." Dipper said wistfully. "Then maybe none of this would be happening."
I had heard enough. Slowly I made my way across the ceiling and through the opening at the top of the door. I pulled myself into the hallway and dropped down without a sound. Quickly I made my way down the stairs, which I floated over because they looked old and creaky, down a hallway and past some more stairs until I came into what seemed to be a basement. On my left there was an intricate wooden door, where Soos's break room was. I slid under the door, checking first to see if anybody was in there, and then let the rest of me in.
       I became 3D again and looked around. Nobody hardly used this room in all my time spent here, plus it would be plain rude to enter in someone else's break room. I examined every place, every possible hiding spot I could find. On my immediate left there was a dresser, and above that some beams to support the slanted roof. I noticed some of the beams looked a little loose to me, and were haphazardly placed. I got up on the dresser and looked at the beams closer. Gingerly I pried one end of a beam loose and the journal fell to the ground. I smiled and grabbed it.
      As I held the journal, however, I thought back to what Mabel said earlier. Why was this journal so important to them? I opened it up and read the first page. Then the next page, which seemed to contradict the first. I flipped to a random page, and then another random page. It seemed to be some kind of...catalog for creatures. Then I came upon the page I saw the night of the party. A black triangle with an eye, top hat and limbs floated in the upper right hand corner, with the name Bill Cipher on the left. On the next page it had a picture of the human brain with the triangle thing entering it, as if it was walking through a door. I remembered that picture was how I knew he was a mind demon. Below the first picture there was a small paragraph that had been crossed out and splattered with red ink. I read the crossed out stuff first, it echoing my own opinion of him. But below, in big, bold letter, it read BILL CAN'T BE TRUSTED!
        I held the journal in my hands and thought about that. Why would Bill want this? Certainly it was interesting, and I knew that I myself wanted to read all of it. Maybe there was something in here that Bill didn't like, that maybe he wanted to destroy. Obviously he wouldn't be happy that someone thinks he couldn't be trusted. When was this journal even written? Why was that first opinion crossed out, what happened?
       I read the page again. It continued to say that Bill was the most dangerous creature they've ever found and that he was evil, and to never let him enter your mind. Ever.
       I snapped the journal shut. I needed to ask some more questions. I tucked the journal into a concealed fold in my belly (same place I keep loose change) and slipped out of the mystery shack. Then I turned back into a human form.
       I grabbed a cheerful Bipper and ran for the cover of the forest.
       "Well?" He asked. "Did you find it?"
       "Why do you want that journal?" I asked him.
       "Why else? To read it of course." He said, as if it was obvious.
       "Don't lie to me." I said sternly. "Be honest."
       "What do you mean? Why would I lie to you?"
       "Purple." I said bluntly.
       "Come again?" He asked, confused.
       "Your aura," I said, pointing at it. "It's purple."
       "Every time, Lilac. Are you really going to point to that every time?" Bipper was a little upset, I could tell, but I didn't care. "Lilac, I'm your friend, why would I lie to you?"
       "Purple."
       "Lilac..." he tilted his head. "Why have you lost faith in me?"
       "I'm simply being cautious." I said. That was true. "I've been tricked before and I just want some verification."
       "I've told you that I'm not like the others." Bipper said, almost menacingly. "Did you get the journal or not?"
        "Oh, I got it alright." I hushed him. "But breaking and entering made me wonder why I was committing menial crimes for you. I mean I have only known you for...what, a day and a half?" Bipper scoffed.
         "Please, I've known you a lot longer than that. And if you got the journal, where is it?"
         "I'll tell you once you tell me your true intent." I said, folding my arms. Bipper smirked.
        "Alright, fine. I plan on destroying it."
        "Destroying it?"
        "That's right." Bipper said, almost proudly. "I'm going to take that journal and burn it page by page, and then rip apart the cover until it's in shreds and ashes."
        "But why?" I asked him, trying to cover up my fear.
        "Because it's wrong." He said. "It's got faulty information-"
        "You're lying again." I interrupted him.
        "Fine!" He hissed. "It's got too many secrets alright? And I don't want anybody to know them!" He grinned. "Now where is it?"
         "I have it." I said boldly.
        "Well, then will you give it to me?" He asked, chuckling.
        "No." I said. He started.
        "What?" He asked. "You won't? Why not?"
        "Because-"
        "Wait, let me guess, purple?" He shook his head. "I'm disappointed. I thought being friends would mean more to you than this. Have you no integrity?"
        "I have more than you." I hissed. "I'm sorry Bipper, but this was a mistake. I thought we could be friends, but it seems you just want to use me." I growled. "Like everyone else. You told me you were different. You were wrong, you are just like everyone else!"
        "I am different." Bipper glared at me. He grabbed my shoulders, sending the sensation through me again. I pushed him away and ran back towards town.
        All the energy I had managed to carry me away fast enough. I got to main street and stopped, pretending to pant. Nobody seemed to notice me, so I snuck behind a building and climbed up to the roof. Shaking, I pulled out the journal and stared at it.
        "I thought you could be different..." I whispered to myself. "But I think I knew you couldn't. I think I knew you were wrong and I still played with you. Stupid bond...STUPID BOND!" I screeched. "I hate this!" I muttered. "I hate this stupid circle, the way it turns again and again...stupid bond..."