Lilac's Mirror

By Joona Irene

--Dipper POV--

      "I really didn't think she could do that." Mabel was saying. We were talking about last night, specifically, Lilac. I nodded and ate some macaroni.
      "I mean, she just lifted it like it was nothing." She grabbed her fork and swiftly lifted it up over her head.
      "And I didn't know about her glowing eyes." I added. "I mean, why would she hide that?" I took another bite. "It's not like it's some huge power or anything."
      "I don't think that she was trying to hide it necessarily."Mabel said after she swallowed. "Maybe she didn't think it mattered."
      "Of course it matters!" I argued. "We are her friends, she shouldn't keep anything from us."
       "You're over thinking this." Mabel said, rolling her eyes. I frowned. "Like ALWAYS."
       "I just think that she doesn't need to hide anything." I said firmly. "Like maybe she's keeping things from us."
      "Dipper." Mabel looked at me sternly. "You LIKE Lilac, don't you?"
      "Well..." I was torn about that.
      "And we WANTED to be friends with her, right? We looked for her everywhere, and I even asked Mermando for help...which was YOUR idea!" She sighed. "Just because she didn't tell us everything doesn't mean that you have to be all 'mister mystery' and go snooping!" Then Mabel promptly crammed macaroni into her mouth.
     "OK, whatever you say Mabel." I said, finishing my food. Just then Stan walked in.
     "Hey kids, when you're done with lunch wash your dishes alright? I gotta get ready for a tour."
     "Oh! Can I help?" Mabel asked. "I could re-paint your face in glitter glue!" Grunckle Stan cringed.
     "Um, no. But, you could do that to a new exhibit: the star-dust bats!"
     "Please don't make me help her." I begged. "Soos and I were going to hang out!"
     "Sure, you can play with Soos." Stan said, walking into the kitchen. "Just don't let him near the waffles again." Mabel and I got up and washed our dishes.
     "What are you and Soos going to do?" Mabel asked.
     "I don't know. We'll find something though. Maybe we can explode hot dogs one at a time in a microwave." I suggested. That actually sounded fun, but that wouldn't take long. I was planning something else. I was going to find out more about Lilac. If she was as important as Bill said, then we couldn't afford not to know anything.
      Soos thought my hot dog idea was great, so that's what we did. It was awesome, watching them burst into a gross gel. And then doing it again. And then again. But after a few minutes we were done, and then Soos had to fix something. So I was left to do some investigating.
I headed to Lilac's tree, praying she wouldn't be there. As I approached I looked for her and, to my joy, found her gone. Then I began climbing the tree, until I came to the branch I typically saw her sitting at. Now I could begin searching.
What I was looking for was anything really. A piece of fabric, a strand of hair, maybe some other odd token of hers. Lightly I felt in my jacket pocket where I kept her broken mirror piece. I wanted to ask her why she gave it to me. It didn't make sense for her to give away her most precious thing, and even when she didn't know me. Every day I wanted to ask, but I was waiting for the right time...I guess.
       I noticed the same Knot in the tree where I had first found her mirror. It was small, narrow, and I could barely fit my arm through. That had been one of the times when not having muscles had been beneficial, because that meant that my arm was small enough to fit. I examined the hole again, looking for anything I might have missed the first time. As I was staring though, something caught my eye. It was bright, and shining, but it wasn't in the same hole. It was somewhere else...
        I looked for the bit of shiny. It seemed to be...stuck? Like, in the branch. I saw it, reflecting the sun. Did Lilac have another hidden treasure? I prodded the shiny and instantly retracted, the thing biting my skin.
        "Ow!" I protested. I looked at my finger. A tiny drop of blood, scarlet. "Geeze."
        Carefully, I tried to take it out, but it pricked me again. I cringed and huffed in annoyance. How did it even get stuck so tight? It seemed impossible to get out, it was really, really jammed in that tiny, tiny opening of the branch. Why didn't I notice this before, when I was playing that game with Mabel and Lilac?
        I looked in my pockets to see if I could find a tool to pry it out. This hidden treasure could hold some secrets to her, something she wouldn't already have hold me. But the only things in my pocket were the journal and Lilac's mirror piece. I hesitated, then, gripping the branch carefully with my arm and both my legs, I fished out Lilac's mirror piece and began to pry away at the branch, chipping away the surrounding wood to open the hole more.
        After a few minutes I began to realize that the object I was trying to get was exactly the same as the one in my hands. Except that the object in was trying to get was actually sharp. And hurt.
        Gingerly I picked it up, trying to keep my balance, and examined it. It was the exact same shape as the shard Lilac had given me. The exact same size too. Did she have two pieces of the same mirror? Why was one sharp and the other not?
..........
        What if one of them was fake? Then, it would make sense as to why the one she gave me would not cut, like broken glass should. The broken mirror she gave me was fake...which meant she didn't trust me. Why would Lilac give me a fake mirror piece? It didn't make sense...
        I tucked away both pieces into my jacket and began to climb back down. I needed more time to figure this out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey ya'll! FFromOtherWebsite here!

Here was an author's note from the original author, Joona Irene. I replaced it this though, because I didn't want it to seem like I was the one who wrote, 'cause I didn't.

She was basically thanking her readers on Quotev for 46 hearts!

But anyways, comment how much you LOOOVE this book, and I'll make sure to tell her (unless she's reading this now)!  As she said herself, every comment is GOLDEN!

Have a nice day!