Brought Up That Way

🌸Angst

You should listen to the song "Brought Up That Way" by Taylor Swift, its a sweet song for a Father's love to his daughter. :)

• • • • •

"Daddy!"

Ayato turned around to see her Daughter smiling widely at him.

"What?" He asked as he kneeled down to match her height.

"Look! I draw a picture of Mommy and You." She giggled and showed him a paper with stick people in it.

Ayato ruffled her hair as he smiled sadly, "Do you miss Mommy?"

The little girl nodded and tears brimmed from her eyes. She's intelligent for a 5 year old.

"Don't worry, Mommy is always watching above. I bet she's laughing at your ugly drawing." Ayato joked which made [Daughter's Name] hit her Father's shoulder playfully.

"Dad! I bet your drawing is much more worst that (than) mine!" She whined and Ayato scooped her up.

"Woah, you're growing fast." He smiled and kissed her nose. "When you grow up, make sure you still love Daddy, kay?"

"Hmm kay'." She smiled as she hugged her Father.

- - -

"Where did you get this?" Ayato frowned as he traced the small scar on [Daughter's Name]'s right arm.

"I-It's nothing Daddy." She lied and hid the scar. Ayato frowned and looked into her [Eye Color]-eyes.

"Tell me the truth."

She looked down and slowly sniffed, "The other kids are bullying me because, I don't have a Mommy."

Ayato clenched his fists as the painful memory of losing you reminded him once again. He sighed and carried your now, 8 year old daughter into his arms.

The next day Ayato talked with the Principal for the way the kids are bullying your child.

"Look, I didn't bring her up, so they can cut her down. I didn't bring her here, so they can shut her out. I live my whole damn life to see that little girl's smile. So why are the tears pouring down that sweet face? She wasn't brought up that way."

That day the bullying stopped and [Daughter's Name] always comes home with a sweet little smile.

- - -

As a teenager, of course Ayato expected that one day, his little girl will come home telling him the news she have a boyfriend. He agreed since the guy is also a ghoul plus, he seems nice. But one day, [Daughter's Name] came home, crying. She didn't say anything but, Ayato knows exactly what happened.

"He wants me to sleep with him but, Daddy, I can't leave you for him."

Ayato's eyes watered and he hugged his daughter tightly. That night he confronted her ex, unknown to him [D/N] was following him. He pushed the guy on the wall with his kagune but, before he could scratch him, a kagune pulled him away from the guy. He looked over and saw the kagune that once belonged to you, that your daughter has inherited.

"Daddy no! Please don't hurt him." She cried out.

Ayato growled as he got out from her grip, "But he broke your heart!"

"I know but, he still made me smile Daddy."

Ayato's face softened and he stepped away from the guy, who also run away. He walked up to [D/N] and quickly kissed her forehead before wiping her tears.

"Listen, stop crying. I didn't bring you up, so he can lay you down. Take that innocent heart and turn it, inside out. I live my whole damn life to see my little girl's smile. So don't let anybody take that away, you weren't brought up that way."

[D/N] slowly wiped her tears and again, she hugged Ayato for comfort. Ayato ruffled her hair as they both went home.

- - -

Ayato's eyes were filled with tears as he slowly stood beside the hospital bed. He was holding your hands as he kept on crying.

The school nurse contacted him about [D/N] getting sick and such. Knowing that she's a half-ghoul, of course, getting sick is possible. But, never did he imagined her having Leukemia.

He silently prayed even though its his first time, "God, I didn't bring her up, to watch them lay her down. Nearly killed me the day they put her Mom in the ground. Only thing that kept me alive was that little girl's smile. So please, don't take that away..."

"...It won't be easy taking her the day, she wasn't brought up that way."

"...Dad..." She called out.

Ayato's eyes shot open and he quickly pulled her into a hug. The blue-haired girl smiled as she hugged him back.

"I'm ugly right now." She laughed and Ayato ruffled her hair.

"You dumb dumb, how can you be ugly when you look exactly like your Mother? Except for the hair of course."

The girl smiled and she whispered to her Father's ear, "Oh yeah Dad, I dreamed about Mom.. She said she was so proud of you for bringing me up like this."

Ayato smiled and he kissed [D/N]'s forehead, "Did you remember how Mom died?"

"Hmm. It was like this right? Except she was pregnant."

"It wasn't your fault. Your Mom chose to bring you to this world because, you're the proof of our love." Ayato smiled and [D/N]'s eyes watered.

"Jeez Dad, never thought you are the romantic type but, I'll make sure to find someone like you." She giggled and Ayato looked up.

"Hey, [Y/N], we brought up a great brat."

• • • • •