"Talk to me."

I stretch my legs, looking into her eyes. Her hair is a mess, but that's from all the fun we were having in my bed, before I put her to sleep. I don't think she realizes how pretty she is without trying.

"Jason." She squeezes my knees, trying to grab my attention.

"What, baby?" I grab her hand.

"Talk to me."

"My wife is driving me crazy." I roll my eyes at the thought of Mel and the shit that she said to Terrance. "Look, I'm just trying to be the good guy and be there for her and the baby that might be mine. Let's be honest . . . I don't know if this baby is mine. I'm a little distant with her, because of the possibility of this baby not being mine. Even with all my doubts, I'm trying to do the best that I can. I sent her a couple grand to help her get a car. She told my dude that her man bought her a car and she doesn't need my ass. Then, she tells him that she's changing her number, because this baby might not be mine. What the fuck type shit is that?" I let it all out. Ashlee is probably one of the best listeners I have ever met.

"Man, this bit . . ." I catch myself, before letting the word all the way out. "After everything, this is what it is. I'm trying so fucking hard to be cordial with her ass, but she is making it really hard. I want to be there, until she gives birth. I just don't think that shit will happen. I want to take a DNA test, but now I feel like with her changing her number, that I should just walk the fuck away."

"And if it's yours?" Ashlee looks deep into my eyes. "Is that the kind of person you are?"

Damn. No, it isn't. I look down at my legs. "What do you suggest?"

"Well, maybe it's best if you guys do keep a distance from one another. As long as you both have mutual friends, you can still know what you need to know about the baby. Then, when she gives birth, go up there and take the test."

I nod my head in agreement. I look back into her eyes. I frown a little, because I thought Mel would be the last person that I go through all this shit with. "Okay."

She gives my hand a light squeeze. "It will be okay. Don't let her change her number upset you. I mean, you changed yours, baby."

"I got a new phone." I make up excuses. I know damn well that I could have kept my same number.

"Mmm . . . " Ashlee stands up and pulls me up. "Can we go to bed.? Why are you up so late?"

I stand in front of her and look down at her. "Because I have to wait up for my friend. She's supposed to be calling me, when she is twenty minutes away."

"Oh."

I kiss her lips, softly. "Go to bed, baby. I'll make breakfast for you."

She nods her head and lets go of my hand. She turns and walks away from me. I watch her, until she walks out the kitchen. I fall back in my seat and grab my phone off the table. I immediately go to my photos to look at pictures of Mel and I. Damn we looked so fucking happy. When the hell did we become so fucking unhappy? When the hell did she become this cold hearted woman that suddenly sounds like she hates me?

*****

Kerri walks through the apartment before me. She had just arrived not too long ago. I follow her inside my place, carrying her bags.

"Damn, Ker baby. Are you moving in?" I joke with her, but I have a little fear in my voice. I mean, I know Kerri being around can shake some things up between Ashlee and I. We've been doing so well. We're not official or anything, but she is my baby. And I'm sure that I'm hers.

"Well, I don't have to actually leave for school for another two months." She turns around to give me a bright smile. "I'm all yours, Jay baby."

Shit! Just looking at the glimmer in her eyes, I already know that she is up to something. Kerri is definitely up to something. This girl is always playing a game with someone's feelings.