She gave me a weird expression. "You think just because you survived the woods this time you know what's best for you? I have lived here my entire life, Bailey. I know what is in those woods. I know what can happen to a young woman like yourself in there. There are wolves and other creatures that can seriously hurt or kill you. If you want to stay under my roof, you will abide by my rules. Do you understand?"

I felt my cheeks heating up. "I understand and I understand this is your house but you can't tell me where I can and cannot go. The woods are calling for me. I am drawn there and I know that sounds crazy but I can't stop dreaming about those woods. You can't forbid me from a place that actually makes me feel safe, a place that doesn't make me feel so alone."

My grandma gave me another weird look, her eyes darting from me and the woods. "What do you mean you feel drawn there?"

"Just like I said. I feel like I belong in those woods. I don't feel like talking about this anymore. I'm going to bed, goodnight."

"Bailey, we need to talk about this more."

I stormed up the stairs and ignored my grandma's pleas to talk to me. I felt angry and like I couldn't breathe. I sat on the window sill in my room and stared out into the woods, wanting nothing more than to jump out the window and be free in there.

***

I never went back downstairs after coming back from the woods yesterday. I just hung out in my room and caught up on some shows on my laptop until I fell asleep. The following morning, I woke up to a piercing echo in my ears. I closed my eyes tightly and put my pillow over my head, hoping for the ringing in my ears to stop. Something was wrong. I heard voices speaking. They were coming from all directions. It sounded like there were different people talking in my room but when I opened my eyes to look, it was just me.

I heard my parents and grandparents' voices speaking. I knew they were downstairs but it sounded like they were in my room with me. I tried focusing on their voices and once I did, the ringing in my ears stopped and all I could hear was them.

"We need to tell her, Dad."

"We can't tell her yet. You could be wrong."

I heard my dad take a deep breath. "She is changing though. You heard what mom said. Mom even said she saw her eyes flicker to gold when she was beginning to get angry. She even went into the woods. What if she met someone? What if she met the one? It could always happen, even if she never fully changed. She might not be one of us, but she can still find someone."

"Just give it some more time. She is only showing small signs. This could be a faze or it could be due to her being here and having the bloodline of one of us. The full moon isn't for another week. We'll find out then if she is really changing or if she's just showing minimal signs. She's too old for this anyway and the risks are too big. I just think we should wait it out. I don't want this for her. She deserves more. After everything she has been through, I want her to have a normal life. She won't get that with him." My grandma said, and I was utterly and completely confused.

I heard my dad sigh. "I know. I just hope, for her sake, she gets out of here fast if it is someone like him because if it is, she will never leave here again."

Before I could even question what they were saying, the ringing was back in my ears and I was screaming. I heard my family downstairs but all I could hear was the piercing echos in my head and suddenly, all I saw and heard was nothing.

***

It was dark outside when I woke up. I felt groggily. I could smell the trees and the musty smell of the leaves. I opened my eyes wider and noticed that I was outside in the woods. The moon was shining brightly above me and I realized that I might have been further from my grandparent's house than I have ever been before.